Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings today

Options
It's not raining - high of 48f today in Indianapolis - good enough. 
Just took 20 wings in vacuum pack out of the freezer and set them on a towel.

Here's the plan:

I'll fire up some Hasty Bake. Itching to try the Rockwood I just bought, but have about 8 lbs. of Hasty left. Set up indirect, legs up, cast iron drip pan and cast iron grill. 

The wings should be about 60f when I bring them to the egg, well - I'm aiming for 60f anyway, that's proper "room temp" according to my local BGE Iron Chef JJ.

I'm going to coat them in red pepper flakes, and bring them up to about 120f, put them in a cooler (container on bottom) while I swap out the plate setter and open up the vents to 500f dome temp. Put that iron drip pan on top of the grate, I want that hot enough to boil off the drippings, but I don't want the residue to burn, I'm going to flavor the wings with that later. 

While the dome is heating up, I'll bring the wings in and dredge them in 2 cups all purpose flour mixed with some baking powder, black pepper, smoked salt, garlic chili seasoning. Back into the cooler, bring the EVOO with me back to the egg. 

When the iron is hot and dry - but hasn't burned the drippings, I'm going to put about a half cup of oil in it, let it heat up - stabilize the dome temp to 500.

Now that iron pan has a hot oil and chicken residue mixture, put ten wings in one at a time until it's full, close lid for about 30 seconds, flip, 30 seconds. Repeat for the other ten.

Golden crispy wings, toss with Franks and butter. 

Pictures (lots) below: Raw, ready to flip, first flip (15 minutes @ 300f) ready to bring inside to dredge at 148f. Dome is at 450, wings are dredged.

Back outside, place them gently in hot oil, 2 minutes per side.  On the plate. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Love me some wings. As far as lump, I have two brands open all the time. Just clean out and swap. Easy peasy. I have a bag for used, mixed for things like butt that can handle the flavor. Would never use that bag on fish or poultry.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    In case anyone thinks I'm sick by now, 148 was the indirect pull it out temperature, before frying.

Final temp was 172 when I brought them inside for the last time. My target was 165, just missed.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.