Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice for slightly used BGE

Options

I have just inherited a LBGE.  It was bought approximately 2 years ago and has been used maybe 10 times over the last 2 years, none in the last year plus.  I will use this site to learn as much as I can.  Is there anything I need to do/check on the BGE before I cook on it for the first time?  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• badinfluence
    Options
    Only thing i can think of needing is beer.

Enjoy
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Check the calibration on the thermometer.  Other than that give it a quick once over for cracks, fill it up with lump and cook some meat!!!  You will learn a lot from this site and the great people on it.  Welcome aboard.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Need to load up on several bags of matchlight briqs and a bunch of lighter fluid.

Little Rock, AR

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'd do an inspection..if any mold if do a burn at about 550 to rid the egg of the mold.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I'd do an inspection..if any mold if do a burn at about 550 to rid the egg of the mold.

I'd probably do that anyway just to "start fresh".
    NOLA
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I would suggest cleaning it out (including taking out the fire box and ring) thoroughly. Load it about 1/3 of the way with lump and get a fire started. Get used to controlling the temp and have fun. As for cooking advice. I always tell people, the first cook on the egg should be something you are comfortable cooking off the egg. Too many people get the egg and want to try a difficult cook or something they've never cooked and it ends up in a disaster.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You are likely fine to start cooking away.  Sometimes after they sit for so long the lump inside can become a bit damp and sometimes mold can form.  If you don't see any mold you are likely fine.  I still think I might pull out the insides and give it a good cleaning, dump any old lump charcoal that might be in the firebox and remove any ash.  Start with fresh lump.  Just to clarify- normally there is nothing wrong with using leftover lump but if it has sat for a year it may be damp. 

For reference- you can pull out the grid, fire ring, firebox to clean under it. 

If you do see any signs of mold then that is not problem- just let it burn at 500+ degrees  for 45 minutes or an hour like a cleaning cycle in your oven. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Rico09
    Options
    Awesome guys, thanks.  I will look it over as suggested and do a burn.  Looking forward to getting started.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'd also check the hardware and make sure the bolts are tight (egg and nest), the band is snug, and that nothing looks out of place.

Some of the basic things are covered on BGE's website.  I'd spend 20 minutes there before doing anything if you have never used a ceramic cooker.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    All the above advice is good except @biggreenpharmacist who was just kidding, I am sure you know not to use either of those EVER the egg. Good luck, everyone hear is helpful.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome!  also have your camera ready for pictures!
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    On the first burn look underneath the base for cracks. I couldn't see mine until it heated up.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Rico09
    Options
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Once you have done all the above practice holding a temp, get it to 250/275 dome and hold it for a hour then bump it up to 425/450 and hold it for a hour both direct as well as indirect. There is a learning curve on holding a temp and using your top and bottom vents. You are going to love the food off the BGE
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Most eggcellent advice above.  BTW-what follows is a brief summary of intro info I have put together for New Egg Owners:  FWIW-

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.