Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garbage Fish

Options
2»

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    How come Walleye get a pass in Lake Ontario?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options
    There aren't any. They are planning on paving the lake next year

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I didn't know that.  I thought those delicious fish were in every great lake.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    Griffin said:

What gets me is that it seem lately tilapia is showing up on menus all over the place. And the price they charge? They make it seem like some exotic, wonderful fish!!

All that aside, glad you liked it. It's always fun to experiment with different rubs side by side to get a comparison. What didn't you like about the Bayou-ish? Or was it just your least favorite of the three?

The Bayou-ish seemed like a tame blackening seasoning, I think it would be good on Shrimp or crawfish, but just didn't work with the white fish.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I didn't know that.  I thought those delicious fish were in every great lake.
    There are walleye in Ontario. Just not in the Toronto area. Seem to be really dense to the east and all the way up the St. Lawrence. I guess the ones in the west end smash when they go over the falls.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Flies eat crap, fish eat flies, then people eat fish.

Cows crap in the field, grass grows from the crap, cows eat the grass, people eat the cows.

Pigs eat, well anything thrown in their slop bucket, people eat pigs.

It's the food chain

Ever have rice in Asia, they fertilize their rice fields with human poop in many Asian countries.

Cows eat grass if your lucky , most cows eat corn these days :D
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    cod and haddock are both really good white fish.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @cookinbob - I'll look for that next time. I appreciate it.
  • VooDuuChild
    VooDuuChild Posts: 54
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've just come to the understanding...if I am eating meat, the stuff that my food eats will almost never seem appetizing.  Bottom scrounging catfish...yum....poo eating tilapia....yum.....poo covered food that pigs and cows eat.....yum....as long as it doesn't taste like what they're eating, I'm not gonna hate, just grill.
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    cod and haddock are both really good white fish.

So is halibut.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    tilapia is a general name for a group of fresh water fishes commonly known as Cichlids. Indoor aquarium owners keep common cichlids such as Oscars, Angelfish, and Discus.

In Asia, they raise chickens in wire mesh bottom cages suspended over the Tilapia ponds. Feed the chickens, the chickens then feed the fish, and they sell them both to an unwary consumer.

All cichlids grow well in captivity, and survive in very dense populations making them ideal for farm raising and when sold to consumers at about the same price as walleye or salmon, they're making enormous profit. Tilapia is sold at stratospheric profits in restaurants. 

There is no dietary changes that can be made to make tilapia taste better. Even if they didn't eat the poop from the other fish tanks they would subsist on algae. Algae eating fish taste like they've been eating algae. The best tasting fish are carnivorous, IMHO.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    Wait, what if a carnivorous fish eats a poooop eating fish, isn't that the same? I'm totally confused by this food chain