Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE corporate not responding to inquiry

I sent them a question over a week ago and have not received a reply.

So I'm hoping someone on here can take a measurement for me.

I want to know the spacing from caster wheel to caster wheel on the Medium BGE Nest.
Specifically from the center of each bolt that hold the caster to the frame.  I'm presuming the base is square.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Only a week? I sent a note 2-3 weeks ago about the "full site" issue from iPhones. Hasn't been fixed. No reply either. I have heard similar stories far too many times over the past few years. And yet people rave about BGE's customer service. Must be something in the KoolAid.

Thanks for letting me vent. If I had a Med, I would go out and measure.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I feel like people rave about customer service because the dealers and distributors handle most of it. I wish I could help you out but I have a large. I'm sure someone will chime in and help you out.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Call them. They will help you out. They don't respond to email very well.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    Zmokin said:

So I'm hoping someone on here can take a measurement for me.

I want to know the spacing from caster wheel to caster wheel on the Medium BGE Nest.
    Specifically from the center of each bolt that hold the caster to the frame.  I'm presuming the base is square.
    Mine are exactly 16" apart from the center of the bolt to the other center. OTOH my nest is now 13 years old if that makes a difference. And yes my base is square.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Only a week? I sent a note 2-3 weeks ago about the "full site" issue from iPhones. Hasn't been fixed. No reply either. I have heard similar stories far too many times over the past few years. And yet people rave about BGE's customer service. Must be something in the KoolAid.

Thanks for letting me vent. If I had a Med, I would go out and measure.

Anyone know who eggzilla_jr is? A few minutes after I posted the above, I got a note asking what was wrong and how could they help. Guessing that eggzilla might possibly be BGE, I told him/her what the problem was. We'll see what happens.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Big Brother is always watching @Carolina Q‌ Lol.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Only a week? I sent a note 2-3 weeks ago about the "full site" issue from iPhones. Hasn't been fixed. No reply either. I have heard similar stories far too many times over the past few years. And yet people rave about BGE's customer service. Must be something in the KoolAid. Thanks for letting me vent. If I had a Med, I would go out and measure.
    Anyone know who eggzilla_jr is? A few minutes after I posted the above, I got a note asking what was wrong and how could they help. Guessing that eggzilla might possibly be BGE, I told him/her what the problem was. We'll see what happens.
    I believe that is the site admin and the main mod here. They composed the rules and regs post.
  • My medium is less than six months old.  Measured from the center of the large bolt on the caster wheel across to the other caster wheel and it measures 16 inches.  From the outer edge of the caster bolt to the outer edge on the opposite bolt it is 15.5 inches.  Yes, the nest is square.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Hmm, 2 measurements at 16 inches.  This is good.
    But then handcyclist said "opposite".  And now I'm wondering if the measurement you gentleman have taken is across the diagonal, or along one side of the square pattern.  Please clarify.
    Thanks

• RRP
    Zmokin said:
    But then handcyclist said "opposite".  And now I'm wondering if the measurement you gentleman have taken is across the diagonal, or along one side of the square pattern.  Please clarify.
    Thanks

mine were side to side like a box that has 4 equal sides of 16" each. Clear?
  • Zmokin
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:
    Thanks

mine were side to side like a box that has 4 equal sides of 16" each. Clear?
    "Crystal"

Thanks!

• opposite sides in a square--16 inches.  Sorry for the confusion, it wasn't intended!!
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • RRP
    edited October 2014
    @Zmokin - just curious though - what are you designing? Is it a frog like a brass monkey for the casters to sit in?
  • Zmokin
    RRP said:
    @Zmokin - just curious though - what are you designing? Is it a frog like a brass monkey for the casters to sit in?
    Similar to caliking, I think, a large caster wheel base for rough terrain.  I'm going with no flat pneumatic 10" casters, the size wheels on moving dolly's.  I'm going to make a frame with angle iron, bolt the casters to it.  then build an open wood box to sit on the caster frame.  The nest will bolt into the box through the most inside mounting hole on the caster wheels.  the box will give me storage space, the nest handler will allow me to tip the unit like a dolly going up steps (well a single step for where I plan on using it).  I'm estimating a 23" to 24" base as the hole pattern on the casters is 3 to 3.625 inches roughly, so 16+3+3= 22 for the outside bolt pattern, add some more for angle iron etc and I'm at 23 to 24" of angle iron lengths I need to purchase. and then some wood for the storage box.  This is a project I want to start after I land a job, but as winter is almost upon us, it might not happen until next spring when I can make it to the cabin after the snow melt.  But i like to draw up plans early, so when it is time to buy materials and build, I have a good parts list and well thought construction plans.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I would not go with pneumatic. 3 people I know made similar to Calikings and I was the only person that went with 8" solid rubber and I am the only person that can still move theirs. The other 2 went with pneumatic.
  • RRP
    @Zmokin - are you open to a bit of advice earned from personal life experiences? Unless you plan to make more than one of these then build it as you go along. You know the saying - measure twice cut once. General design plans are great, but don't cut first! Also an egg in a nest is already top heavy and prone to tipping over and then when adding taller casters the center of gravity is even thrown further off! I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but I even think now that you plan to drill the holes based on 16" centers that two of us told you about ours...a nest can be knocked out of whack either on purpose or accidentally and the holes will no longer be on 16" centers, but perhaps 2 at 17 and 2 at 15". Get my point? BTW if you haven't already noticed this thread will no longer show up as updated...that's a control feature the moderators here do to certain threads they feel are negative to BGE.
  • Zmokin
    Lit said:
    I would not go with pneumatic. 3 people I know made similar to Calikings and I was the only person that went with 8" solid rubber and I am the only person that can still move theirs. The other 2 went with pneumatic.
    I'm using "no flat pneumatic".  Which means it is a mix of open & closed cell foam tires.  I've had one on my wheelbarrow for years now and it works great.

• Zmokin
    RRP said:
    @Zmokin - are you open to a bit of advice earned from personal life experiences? Unless you plan to make more than one of these then build it as you go along. You know the saying - measure twice cut once. General design plans are great, but don't cut first! Also an egg in a nest is already top heavy and prone to tipping over and then when adding taller casters the center of gravity is even thrown further off! I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but I even think now that you plan to drill the holes based on 16" centers that two of us told you about ours...a nest can be knocked out of whack either on purpose or accidentally and the holes will no longer be on 16" centers, but perhaps 2 at 17 and 2 at 15". Get my point? BTW if you haven't already noticed this thread will no longer show up as updated...that's a control feature the moderators here do to certain threads they feel are negative to BGE.
    I know about the top heavy, but with the large heavy base, it should improve it's stability, even though it will be overall higher.  I saw that with my last post, that the topic didn't bump to the top. 

• RRP
    Zmokin said:

I'm using "no flat pneumatic".  Which means it is a mix of open & closed cell foam tires.  I've had one on my wheelbarrow for years now and it works great.

@Zmokin - Your wheelbarrow has one wheel in front in a very low center of gravity position. A top heavy BGE in a nest further elevated yet even higher is an accident waiting to happen. Sorry if I'm offending you - just trying to explain what accident in the future is probable. Good night!
  • Zmokin
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:

@Zmokin - Your wheelbarrow has one wheel in front in a very low center of gravity position. A top heavy BGE in a nest further elevated yet even higher is an accident waiting to happen. Sorry if I'm offending you - just trying to explain what accident in the future is probable. Good night!
    I'm not offended, but now I am a bit confused by your response.  I understand your concern over center of gravity.  My comment to Lit was in regard to his viewpoint that I need to go with hard solid rubber wheels.  I'm a bit at a loss understanding how tire type will affect stability.  The medium egg I will be moving across uneven terrain (natural forest floor with hunks of exposed granite), and then rolling it up and over about a 3 to 4 inch step onto a concrete patio.