Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt - Turbo or slow?

Options
Ok so i have a 10 pound pork butt that i need to serve at 5 tomorrow evening.  Should i turbo it, or start it at like 7 am low and slow? Ive never turbo'd one this big so temps and timeframes would be appreciated.
-Chris

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Turbo is probably your only option if you can't start until 0700. Turbo is the only way to go IMHO. Start at 230 or so and let me the smoke soak in for a couple of hours then wrap and run it at 350 or so until 195 and then FTC. Just my .02
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Myself I would still start at 7-8 and cook about 300° and bump the temp to 350 if it wasn't close to 160-170 by 2:30 or so. I would also watch the sugar content in the rub because it will start to scorch at 325-350 I think. I've only done one low n slow as I like my sleep but I have done one 10lb turbo no foil at 350ish and it took mine about 7 1/2 - 8hrs to get done. Better to start early and FTC than have guest waiting on dinner. IMO.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Get a good fire with good smelling smoke at 225 to 250F dome. Throw it on at 7AM. Jack the temp up after a few hours to 275 to 300F. If it stalls crank up even higher until you see the temp rise or foil.
    Options
    You could cut that big **** in half and rub both halves and throw them on the egg after a good nights sleep. Two halves will cook much faster than one whole.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    For the record I have never met a pork butt cook of 10 lbs that could get finished in 10 hours (7 am to 5 pm) in any low&slow environment.  So, by default you are in some derivative of turbo.  Above are good options and remember, no two butts cook the same.  Best finish-line indicator is when the bone pulls clean....somewhere in the low 200's*F.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I vote L&S. I like my lovin' deep and slow. We're talking deep smoke flavor. Ya baby.
    More time than 10 hrs will be required.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Turbo
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've done all of my PB's turbo method and they always come at great. I usually start out around 300 to 350 and when it gets to 180- 185 I crank it up to about 390-400 if I need to get it done. Make sure you give your self some time to let it rest. I don't like pulling it right off the egg. Its a lot more juicy if you let it set for 30 minutes or so. At 350 I usually get a 9 pound PB done in 6 hours. I agree if you are going L&S you will need more then 10 hours.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.