Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holding Your Butt - What Temp?

Options
jtcBoynton
jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
Need recommendations for the best temperature to hold pork butt at. I have an eight pound butt on a LBGE. Started it this morning for dinner tonight. Plan was to cook in the low 300's. However, temps got away from me and it was in the upper 300's most of the morning. Internal temp is now in the 180's, so it looks like it will be done early and will need to be held warm for a while before dinner time. Yes, I could FTC, but I prefer to FO (Foil Oven). My question is: what is the best temperature to hold it at? I am thinking either 160°F or 170°F.
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• Derrick300
    Derrick300 Posts: 13
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I take mine to 185 on the smoker, wrap in foil, wrap in a bath towel and throw them in the cooler for as long as 3 to 4 hours and they're always perfect.

I know i'm late but hope this helps
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

@jtcBoynton, I've never tried to hold a butt very long, I'm more of a spanking kinda guy :))....

Back on topic:  I've again, never tried to keep a butt warm in the oven, but i'd imagine a good rule to go by would be, "as low as the oven will go".  I think it's close to 200 or so on my oven.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    BRush00 said:

@jtcBoynton, I've never tried to hold a butt very long, I'm more of a spanking kinda guy :))....

Back on topic:  I've again, never tried to keep a butt warm in the oven, but i'd imagine a good rule to go by would be, "as low as the oven will go".  I think it's close to 200 or so on my oven.

:)) My oven has a 'keep warm' setting with temps from 145° to 200°. So I have the ability to maintain the butt anywhere in that range. I am trying to figure out the best temp within that range to hold it at (if it makes any difference).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Choke down the vents a bit more and let it continue to cool. You'll hit a stall that hopefully will last you a while.

Planning on cutting it pulling? If pulling, I goto 202 before I de-egg the protein and FTC. Let it rest for an hour and shrewd away!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jtcBoynton
    Options
    FTC works well. I find that FO is more convenient. One advantage of FO is that the holding temp can be set. The problem is, I don't know what the optimal holding temp is. I am not sure that there even is an optimal holding temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE