Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you use your pizza stone in the house oven?

Options
I know, I did say the "0" word but I do still use my oven. When I use the pizza stone in the oven it emits an odor that I find offensive. I was wondering if anyone else notices it. Last night I made naan pizzas on my cast iron pan and not only did I not have an odor but they were better than on the stone.
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I haven't used my BGE stone in my BGE in over a year. Oven pies only. I also have a 14x17x5/8" stone I bought long before I got an egg. I place it on the top rack and the BgE stone below. Very even cooking, top and bottom, from 450-725*. Much easier too. The only way to fly.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    @CarolinaQ do you notice an odor coming from the stones when you heat them up? Did my stone absorb too much smoke from the egg?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No odor from either stone. The rectangular one was from Williams Sonoma. The other, a BGE. The BGE stone has been used in my egg, though not even close to recently. No odor ever.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I just wonder what happened to my stone.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Just run your oven through a self clean cycle with stone inside.  No odor will remain after that.
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @Cowdogs. I was wondering if that would work without having the stone explode. I will give it a try. Thanks. ;;)