Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boy was I Wrong About the Internal Temp of Brisket!

Options
dayzed&confused
dayzed&confused Posts: 178
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
Here is a post from me several months ago after having a few beers and feeling a lot smarter than I really am.                                                                                    "#1 water boils at 212 degrees sea level. #2 most of us cook at a higher altitude than that, unless your cooking under water some how. So, doesn't it make since that the food would be done somewhat lower than that 212 degree temperature, especially the higher the altitude? So it makes since to me that living in West Texas, say 2000 feet altitude, that I should not let the internal temperature of my brisket reach it's water boiling point of 208 degrees. At 208 degrees the water in my brisket is going to turn to steam and at that point all of the moisture is going to pressurize and flat ass leave my brisket DRY! Now, I am not a smart man, but it seems to me that I don't want to break that 200 degree threshold. Preferably stay under 190 or so. Any thoughts?"                                                     Well, I got plenty of responses telling me that I was wrong, so this weekend I finally got around to cooking another brisket. I put it on at 9:00pm, 225 degrees with plenty of hickory smoke. At 8:30 the next morning I wrapped it tight with foil an placed it in a roaster oven at 250 degrees. I stuck a probe through the top of the foil into the meat in order to monitor the temp. When the meat reached 200 degrees I lowered the roaster oven to 150 degrees. The meat temp still reached 205 before it started dropping. I pulled the brisket out of the roaster oven at 1:30pm and we ate it at 2:00pm. It was the most tender brisket I have ever cooked by far and it was not dry. To hell with physics and listen to the pros, they can defy physics when it comes to cooking briskets!
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Why did you take out of the egg and put in a roaster oven?? And why wrap?? Was it a flat or a whole brisket? Glad it worked out for you.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    It was a whole 15lb brisket. I guess I wrapped it foil simply because I always have. I have this phobia that if I don't wrap it will dry out.
    San Angelo, texas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

It was a whole 15lb brisket. I guess I wrapped it foil simply because I always have. I have this phobia that if I don't wrap it will dry out.

Lots of folks wrap (I'm not one of them unless we're talking FTC then yes, I do). But, as @Mattman3969‌ asked why pull from a already hot egg and put in the "roaster oven" :-/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I only wrap my briskets when it's done and I need to FTC it. Also I every brisket I have done in the oven has come out tender and moist, but that's because it was covered in a ceramic covered dish same as the egg. You should have been fine in the egg. Try it again sometime all the way in the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.