Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving in August!

Options
Every year my company gives all employees a turkey for Thanksgiving and since we are normally never home mine is still in the freezer. Wife took it out about ten days ago and we egged it up. Weight was not marked but they are supposed to be around 10 - 12 pounds. Figured about 15 minutes a pound at 325. Stuffed the inside with 2 onions, 1 lemon and 1 orange. Iced down the breast for half hour then coated with softened butter and butchers BBQ all purpose rub. Used navel orange wood for smoke and put it on indirect at 2 thinking 3 hours to cook and let it rest, then eat around 6. Temp dropped 100 degrees which I have expected but never came back. Opened up the egg after an hour to try and get more eat and took awhile to get hot. Had the top wide open eventually and bottom 3/4 until it rread 400 grate temp. We to say the least we had green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin bars of or supper. Put the boys to bed and carved up the bird at 9. Of course the beast temp was five degrees away and when I came back out 15 minutes later the temp had jumped to 173. Great so now its 830 pm, well past supper time and now it's going to be dry. Well at least it wasn't Thanksgiving?

I had just completely cleaned out the egg, filled with fresh lump also. Today I checked the thermometers and made sure I had aligned the box properly. To no avail not sure what happened but whatever. Cooking some spare ribs today and no issues with the temp. All I guessing is I got a much bigger bird.

Temps before, left is breasr and top right is thigh.

Funky clouds after a brief shower.

Moving on to better things.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

Comments