Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

USS Sudden Jerk (PT-305) & WWII Museum (PIc Heavy)

Options
Parallel
Parallel Posts: 433
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
I pulled the trigger on a family membership to the National WWII Museum today.  I'm volunteering at The National WWII Museum working specifically on the PT-305 Restoration Project. I had to meet with Bruce Harris (Project Lead) this morning to discuss the life line design that I'm doing so that the US Coast Guard will sign off on embarking passengers aboard the PT boat when she's operational and to discuss the design of a hatch dogging system to make her watertight. I took Isaiah with me and he was enthralled to be allowed to go aboard and check it out. Isaiah showed true interest in the museum so I went ahead and bought the membership so he could learn the history and the sacrifices of the greatest generation. 

It was moments like these ones where he's taking pictures of the boat and asking all kinds of well thought out questions that made me decide to get the membership.
imageimage       

My boy riding the deactivated shell of a WWII era torpedo like those used by the torpedo patrol boats.

Permission to come aboard? Granted...

imageimage          

This was taken earlier; it sure is a shame that the beautiful mahogany deck of the PT-305 had to be painted over haze grey ...

So... he wanted to check out the museum.. I called the wife and let her know we were going to be here a while and that I was about to buy a family membership and off we went...

imageimage
imageimage
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Anyone who has been to the WWII museum knows that there are some stark and graphic photos of the horrors of war on display there. These were a bit of a shock to my boy. I've got my work cut out for me trying to make him understand.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.

Comments