Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trout

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
I got off work early so I headed to a lake that's a few miles from my house. Perfect morning for fishing. 55° with a slight breeze and I was on the water at sunrise. Doesn't get any better than that. Trout will be tonight's dinner. Here's the before pics. I just set the fish in the egg to measure them. I'll cook 'em tonight.
imageimageimage
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Nice catch, fly fishing or hardware? Fresh trout is one of my favorites. I hope that is an XL egg and not a mini.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stemc33
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks @berndcrisp‌, Not a mini, not a XL, it's just a large. Fish are probably 16". That's about the average size from that lake. Every once in a while I'll catch a big one. The cutthroats are a little smaller on average, but still pretty decent.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    Just glanced at the photo again, maybe only 15". It always seems like there're bigger than they really are. Oh well, it's still gonna be a good dinner.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Yeah that will be a great meal. I found that the smaller trout 12-14" were usually more flavorful. 10" Brookies for breakfast while camping are some of my fondest childhood memories. I never did hook a cutthroat.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks like you will have a great meal tonight!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Did some fresh Reds last month that turned out well. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33‌ the Steelhead looks delicious Sir! But, what I liked even better was the 55℉ :)) I'm definitely ready for Fall.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Whole roasted/grilled/fried fresh fish is as good as life gets
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • stemc33
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Update. No fish dinner last night. I had a change of plans. Anyway, I decided to try smoking one tonight and grilling the other tomorrow. Below is a pic of it on the egg. Just a little longer and I'll pull it. I've never butterflied a trout before so no laughing at the butcher job. I've caught more of these fish than I could count, but always just remove the guts and the heads then cook(not into the head thing). Usually pan fry if they fit, grill direct or wrap in foil if the don't. This is also the first time trying to smoke a fish. The lack of uniformity of the fish will give me several different textures from moist to jerky. What can I say, it's a learning process. image
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Picture of it finished. Wrapped in foil and will be eaten cold.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Damn... that looks really good. Would trout filets from the seafood dept work for smoking?
  • stemc33
    edited August 2014
    Options
    hapster said:

Damn... that looks really good. Would trout filets from the seafood dept work for smoking?

Absolutely.

Also,lots of people smoke them whole. I think the trick is finding the right brine time and keeping the egg cool enough during the smoking process.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Wow. Just wow.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Yum. Did a trout a la meunière in CI skillet last night. Smoked looks delish!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • stemc33
    Options
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming