Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking in the wind

Options
Did my first pizza cook tonight for the family and it was windy out. I cleared out the ash tray, put a fresh load of lump in and got the temp up to 600. Cooked the first pizza - wife is gluten free so did separate pizza for her - and when I took the first one out and put the second in, the temp dropped to less than 400 and wouldn't go any higher, even with the bottom vent fully open and the wheel off. Would the wind have burnt the lump too quickly and is it worth doing a slow cook tomorrow as it's meant to be the same weather? I read other posts saying the weather doesn't affect the egg

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Usually wind raises temps. Clean the box out good with a vacuum and refuel.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I never noticed any wind related problem or fluctuation. At 600* you can go thru a lot of lump in a hurry. Sure you had enough?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• therealhaddock
    Options
    I filled it to the top and turned the vent away from the direction of the wind so would have thought there would have been enough
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    To the top of what? If the fire ring. I would have thought you would have been okay. If the top of the fire box, not so much.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I guess it didn't happen. No :-B
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL