Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veggies ? again

Options
I tried to cook some vegetables on the Egg again and failed.  I sliced red onion, squash and zuchinni and tossed in olive oil and some balasamic vinegar,  I got the egg to 350 and burning for a while (most of the lump was leftover from Saturday but I topped it off a little.  I used Rockwood lump this time as recommended by others.  I cooked the veggies in a basket/tray on the egg for ~20-25 min tossing the vegetables in the tray (cooked until soft).

They tasted like an ashtray again - the smoke while cooking was clean smelling but the taste from the vegetables was nasty (not to mention embarrassing to friends that came over for dinner).

The only veggies that come out good on the Egg are corn (cooked IN their husks) or baked potatoes or foiled potatoes.

I do not know what I am doing wrong or maybe that is the way they are supposed to taste like off the egg but they are disgusting.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    20-25 minutes is too long IMHO. I usually grill around 450* turning or tossing in a grill basket every couple minutes just until charred a bit on the outside. Whole process rarely exceeds 10 minutes, including prep time for the veggies. Try hotter/faster.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I agree with the cook time.  Hotter temp faster cook. And wait till after cooking to sprinkle with balsamic.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Good point, I missed the balsamic note. I would try just OO and S&P. Then build from there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Rob, i am going to go one step further. Olive oil and kosher salt only, pepper can taste "burnt". I agree with high temp but i would try bigger cuts, planks of zucc and squash that can be grilled direct--no pan. Peppers cut in half and onion slabs that wont go through the grate. Then season after they get off with salt pepp and balsamic drizzle. You should still get a good toothy firmness on the veg. Soft is overdone. Let us know how it goes.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Balsamic is pretty sweet. Maybe the sugar in it burnt.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if i remember right, dont you still have a gasser on the deck. meat on the egg, veggies on the gasser
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    gasser is under the deck and un-opened in 2 years - afraid to see what is living in there.

The flavor was definitely charcoal smoke and not burnt flavor.  Tasted like an ashtray.

On the other hand the hanger steaks with drizzled truffle oil vinegarette were amazing.

Diet season (life style change) is upon us.  Hence keep trying to eat healthy foods - not winning this battle.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    when i do a cook like yours it goes in a pan with no holes and up towards 450/500. or direct as skewers, maybe try some onion  skewers with quartered onions and some tomato skewers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I always grill veggies with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and they never taste like an ash tray. Might have had too much oil on the veggies. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Here's a recommendation, test a recipe before doing it for guests, even meals not cooked on an egg.

A lot of times a dish will sound good, but won't be what I was expecting. That also allows you to tweak the recipe to your liking.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Most of the time when we cook we cook for guests as firing up the egg for a cook is usually an ordeal so making a small steak or two hamburgers is not worth lighting at times just for that.  Another reason I dont make fish on the Egg - not cooking it for myself only - seems a waste of lump/time.

Garnerville, NY