Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Rib Recipe and Advice

Options
jfine1
jfine1 Posts: 87
Folks
Just made short ribs on the egg as follows

3hr smoke (hickory) at 250
2hr braise (beer/chicken stock) at 275
30 min glaze at 350

Flavor and texture was great (happy to post full recipe) but the issue I had was with fat. A ton of fat simply did not render meaning each plate I served came back with a lot of ugly fat that was cut off

Anyone got any ideas as to how the fat could be more successfully rendered?

Pic below of the ribs after smoking and then at serving:

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    From my limited view with short ribs, the quality of ribs (and for sure a crap-shoot) drives the cook. That said,  I'm surprised with the cook sequence you described that you had so much fat unrendered.  No pearls of wisdom here-next time you may want to run longer ( 1 hour?) before the braise. Just tossing it out there.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!  Regardless of your rib eggsperience this is a game-changer cooking machine.  For the record, I am biased.
    :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Given the structure of short ribs, I can't think of any reasonable way to trim before cooking. Perhaps after an hour or so, poke holes into the fat, and flip the ribs so the oils run out faster.
    Maybe even squeeze the ribs w. a spatula, tho' that might hazard squeezing out juices too.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I never braise short ribs. To me, that makes them taste like a pot roast.  I get a full rack of ribs and do not have them cut.  I use either Chuck short ribs (4 bone) or Plate Ribs (3 bone).  They cook for about 5 hours. See the following post for pictures and technique which is based on the Adam Perry Lang recipe:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA