Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling North Atl exurbs: Costco or BJs?

We'll have a new Costco opening at the end of the month. Read a lot of good press about them as well as folks who keep their memberships and make the 45 minute trek to the closest one to me. I've had a BJ's membership for 3yrs and overall, I've been quite satisfied. Costco's website shows a lot of specialty meats (that makes me happy) and I hear the Kirkland brand of goods are of high quality. For those who have experience with both, which do you prefer and why?
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have had both, and I prefer Costco because they have a better selection of meats and I like the Kirkland brand.  Another thing to consider is they have a great warranty on all their products.  So, if you buy a big ticket item like a TV or a treadmill you can feel good about the purchase.  One downside is the Costco closest to me (Kennesaw by Town Center Mall) is really crowded on weekends.  Unless you want to experience "giant cart rage" for 2 hours. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2014
    Costco Costco Costco Costco. 

Everything is top quality. Employees are treated better(pay, benefits) than any other retailer and it shows. They don't mark anything up over 11-14% unless required by law(fuel, alcohol, tobacco). They offer programs for vacations, car-buying, financing, etc that makes these typically annoying tasks completely painless. 
  • Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think they are doing a pre-opening promo where if you sign up, you get free stuff. I like free stuff. It makes me happy. Will probably pull the trigger this weekend. I have a distinct feeling that this is going to seriously hurt BJ's membership base (they are offering $10 memberships right now as an incentive.)

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • They were doing a promotion at work. We got an email saying "BJs in the lobby at 11:00." You should have seen the guys in line..
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Another vote for Costco, I make a 30 minute drive rather than go to the BJs or Sams club withing 10 minutes - it is that much better.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Teaching my 16 y/o son to drive, had errands to run, groceries to get.  Finished at Pathmark, asked him if he knew how to get to BJ's.  He didn't, so I told him you start by holding hands, maybe some kissing and eventually, probably after several years, he'd get there.  "NOT FUNNY, DAD!!!"
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • @HendersonTRKing: I have two girls. NOT going there!!! X_X
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The only reason not to pick Costco:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Look what I started. Sorry
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I can't wait for that Costco to open I am on my way to the one in Alpharetta right now. Online they said it doesn't have tire and gas though. Costco for sure over BJs.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    I wish they would put a Costco out east.  We have a BJ's closer to me and a Sam's Club in Conyers.  Don't like BJ's so I hit the Costco by my office which makes it difficult to buy the awesome items (meats/cheeses/seafood).  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• I get my LP at BJs. $14 to fill up the tank which is a very good deal. I'm not sure if Costco will have that service - which I will miss if they don't.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited August 2014
    COSTCO...we currently live about a mile from the Alpharetta location and I have bank statements to prove it!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Well gents, SWMBO picked up our Costco memberships on her way back from doing errands.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    We are members of both but if I had to choose just one it would be Costco.  BJs does have some cryovac packaged meat that Costco doesn't have (chick tenders, briskets). Our Costco does not carry packer briskets.  I think the chickens at BJs (Perdue) are a little better than the ones at Costco (whatever their brand is).

Kirkland brand items at Costco are of excellent quality but the store brand at BJs isn't bad.

We like the store brand of cheddar cheese at Bjs better than the one at Costco.

Bjs is closer to us (3 miles vs 6 for Costco).  Both sell gas at the same price (about a nickel lower than nearby stations).  Ours both have tire/auto centers but I like Costco better.

Used to be a member of Sam's club in a previous city and both BJs and Costco are better than Sams.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Well gents, SWMBO picked up our Costco memberships on her way back from doing errands.

=D>
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @lit I probably saw you there I was in the alpharetta store at 1:00.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    @JRWhitee‌ I was the mad guy after trying to drive through Alpharetta at 1230 in the afternoon.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It was a mad house especially Windward Pkwy

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I hear that the weather made the 400 corridor a total nightmare. I just got back from Keith Bridge/Browns Bridge area - missed an accident by 45 seconds due to rain. But hey, ensconced at home and Egg is poised for action. The weekend has begun! Cheers!!
  • fence0407 said:
    COSTCO...we currently live about a mile from the Alpharetta location and I have bank statements to prove it!
    Why do I have this sneaky feeling the same will happen to me????
  • Costco for me!
    Cumming, GA
    LBGE