Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Ideas? Advice?

I eggstending the repertoire today or tomorrow with a pork tenderloin cook,  I'd appreciate any recipes, rubs, time and temp and smoke advice. 

Thanks! 
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    How about this: coat in EVOO, roll in onion soup mix to coat, then wrap a couple few slices of bacon around it secured with toothpicks. Raised direct at 375 until internal temp hits 140.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,232
    Ooooh. 

Approx. time?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Cook to temp...not time. Check in about 30-45 mins. The recipe sounds good to me will try it next time I do a loin.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Cook to temp...not time. Check in about 30-45 mins. The recipe sounds good to me will try it next time I do a loin.
    Cherry, Apple or Pecan works good for me with pork. (Forgot to mention in last post)

Opelika, Alabama
  • THEBuckeye
    Thanks. Understand to temp but appreciate the approx time for planning purposes! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I heard you couldn't smoke or slow cook a tenderloin...too lean they say.  It'd be tough...
    One day my neighbor came over to our house with 3 pork tenderloins he smoked for a party we were having.  Spiced them 3 different ways.   I don't know how he did it, but they were tender and incredible!

I haven't tried it.  Maybe I shouldn't believe the hype. ?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,735
    You won't dry it out smoking it low and slow... Just don't overshoot the IT of the meat and it's going to be juicy...  I do mine indirect at 250 then sear just like steak (reverse sear).  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    @Thebuckeye - 30-45 minutes? Watch it closely once it hits 125 or so. That last 10 degrees goes fast on something as small as a tenderloin. Sadly, I've overshot the temp on several.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • I have found this to be a good marinade recipe:

Hawaiian Pork Marinade
    1/4 c sugar, 1 tsp fresh grated ginger, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1tsp salt, 2Tbs molasses, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 c oil, 1/4 c water, 2 crushed garlic cloves. Combine ingredients and pour over pork. Marinate 24 hours.

I cook reverse sear. Start indirect on top of Adj Rig at about 275 to 300 dome. Use a remote meat thermometer with probe until internal is about 130 (final internal temp goal is 138 or so for juicy and just slightly rare). Then pull off meat and rig, open vents to about 550 to 600 dome, and sear each of 4 sides for about 30 sec per side.

Very good sliced and served on the hawaiian sweet rolls.

Pork Tenderloin cooked on egg is moist and delicious.  And very reasoably priced too.

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    I've took a long thin bread knife and cut a slit in the center from one end to the other end and shoved smoked sausage in the middle and wrapped in bacon. Dizzy dust rubbed and cooked  indirect at 275 till 135 to 140 in the canter. The smoked sausage helps keep from drying out.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• THEBuckeye
    Thanks! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    @SmokinTiger81, I use a similar marinade and it works every time. Also good on chops. I think I'll try yours next. I will also sometimes dust it with dizzy pig pineapple head shortly before putting on the BGE. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I did this one the other day but adapted for tenderloin.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1155810/best-pork-chop-i-ve-ever-had

One word of advice- double the sauce and be careful with the brine. I went 3 hrs thinking the tenderloin would need more time than the chops and it picked up too much salt. I would either cut back on the salt in the brine or cut time to 1 hr.

It was still very good and I will do again.
    Greensboro, NC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Two words: coffee rub.
  • THEBuckeye
    I'm going with Dizzy Dust and finished w/ Daddy Sam's on one and the other with half w/ EEVO, lime and a red pepper sauce from Anguilla and the other half plain jane salt and pepper. They're in the fridge now and the Applewood bacon and Vidalia Onion laded baked beans are in the oven! 

Damn, it's too early to start drinking! 

I am going to do the coffee rub next time. I see mentioned here all the time. Too many great things to cook, to few eggs 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• KiterTodd
    edited August 2014
    Okay, so a medium cooked tenderloin (no pink) should be at 160.   Are you guys saying pull it at 140 and it'll rise another 20 on it's own?  I know these days we are supposed to be able to eat pink pork, but I get tired of all the "is this cooked all the way?" remarks and I have to admit I'm in that camp also.  So, if I don't want pink inside, what temp should I pull it?

Do you FTC or serve after a short rest?

How long?  I saw someone post something about 45 minutes.  I see times like that and I get excited that I can smoke pork on a weeknight dinner cook! Woohoo!!!

THANKS! :-bd
    LBGE/Maryland
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Did this one the other day and was delicious  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156007/pork-tenderloin#latest

Pork tenderloin marinade

3 tablespoons lemon juice

6 tablespoons soy sauce

2 teaspoons garlic

1/2 cup honey

Let it marinade for at least 5 hours cooked it direct raised and loved it
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    KiterTodd said:
    Okay, so a medium cooked tenderloin (no pink) should be at 160.   Are you guys saying pull it at 140 and it'll rise another 20 on it's own?  I know these days we are supposed to be able to eat pink pork, but I get tired of all the "is this cooked all the way?" remarks and I have to admit I'm in that camp also.  So, if I don't want pink inside, what temp should I pull it?

Do you FTC or serve after a short rest?

How long?  I saw someone post something about 45 minutes.  I see times like that and I get excited that I can smoke pork on a weeknight dinner cook! Woohoo!!!

THANKS! :-bd
    I pulled mine around 140 will go a little longer next time, I agree with the "is this thing cooked?"

i had it raised direct and it got done way faster than i thought it would granted it was fairly small tenderloins but even a bigger one wouldnt take long to finish
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2014
    may be a bit late responding...

Bourbon pork tenderloin. 

Marinade 2+hrs (we have added the tenderloin to the marinade and then put it in the freezer until later) Grill at ~300-325 until an internal temp of 160, FTC until you are ready to serve.  Melts in your mouth.

We also take all of the marinade and reduce it down on med heat add a bit of cream to thicken it up and use it as a dip/gravy.  maybe a tad more bourbon than the recipe calls for... 

Server with Garlic Mashed taters, Garlic/Onion Green Beans (I like adding diced tomatoes on the plate - not cooked) or Asparagus.
  • THEBuckeye
    About to light her! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    are those grilled apples and bananas?? looks good

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• THEBuckeye
    No, but next time they could be!

I did dust them w/ cinnamon which gave a whole Island vibe to the dinner! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited September 2014
    Did this 1/4 of a loin last Sunday.  

Loin has a concoction of coffee, sugar, season salt, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, brown sugar. 

Cooked 400° until 140°.  Tented and rested for about 15-20 mins.  Was pretty good.  I was going to reverse sear it, but decided to go this route due to wanting chicken wings too.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • KiterTodd
    You won't dry it out smoking it low and slow... Just don't overshoot the IT of the meat and it's going to be juicy...  I do mine indirect at 250 then sear just like steak (reverse sear).  
    So, how long on average for your standard pork tenderloin?

Do you have to sear it after you pull it, or does it look good enough to eat once the internal temp is near 160?

Thanks!   I may cook one tomorrow so I can do a short low and slow.  Something I can start in the afternoon and have for lunch maybe?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Here's my recipe....

Slice open the tenderloin lengthwise.  Stuff with cream cheese (I use onion and chive flavor) and sliced jalapenos.  Wrap with bacon.  Sprinkle with whatever rub you like (I used Rib Tickler) and a healthy amount of brown sugar.

Indirect at 350-400 until the internal temp hits 145.

I usually make two.  Eat one for dinner.  Wrap the second one in foil and put in in the fridge overnight.  Slice it about 3/4 inch thick and eat it cold on small Hawaiian rolls.  I think I like it better the second and third day.
  • KiterTodd
    ckillian said:
    Here's my recipe....

Holy crap ckillian, is that thing legal???

Okay, that looks awesome!   I have a couple serious questions;
    Do you have any cooked pictures to share?
    I like no pink in the pork...should I let that go longer or does it end up getting up above 160 while it rests?
    Does the bacon cook crispy or is it soft?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • ckillian
    ckillian Posts: 73
    edited September 2014
    I cannot confirm if it is legal or not....

Found a pic of one cooked.  I'll post it here.

If you like no pink, I'd guess maybe take it off at 155 or so?  I never bothered checking the temp after resting.  I took it off at 145, so I'm sure it climbed above that.

The bacon can come out a little soft.  Lately, I've been cooking at a little higher temps to make it a little more crispy.  It also depends on how much you overlap the bacon.  The more bacon that's not exposed to the heat, the softer it will be.  

Also, I've been putting more and more jalapenos the more I make this.  They become nice and sweet after cooking and have a really good flavor.  Don't lay off them just because you think it'll be too spicy.....it won't.

Just experiment with it a little.  It's so easy.  Only takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare and about 45 minutes or so to cook.