Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help!

Options
Got some mates coming round this weekend and we are going to cook some pizzas on the egg. Never done pizzas before so thought I'd have a practice by myself tonight. Went ok but couple of issues. Firstly the pizza stone I bought I thought was flat, but it has edges on, like a pie. Have I bought the wrong thing? I set up the egg for indirect with plate setter in legs up with the grill on top, with the pizza stone on top of that. I got the egg up to 600 then put the pizza in, but after opening the lid, I never got the temp back up past 400, even with the daisy wheel off and the bottom vent fully open. The pizza took ages cook, and was ok but not what I expected. Not user what I've done wrong but any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    • was the stone in long enough to really heat up?  a thick one takes a while
    • did you have enough lump?  I overload for pizza - you can go through a ton of lump cooking pizza maintaining those temps
    • clogged fire grate?
  • therealhaddock
    Options
    Thought I had enough lump, probably just over half and I cleared the grate before starting, so not enough lump seems the logical answer as it dropped all the way through the cook even thought the vents were open. Do you have to fill it ?
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    When I do pizza, I load up the firebox!
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I rarely cook just a couple of pizzas, most of the time it's when we have a gang over.  I fill up the firebox so I can keep it 600-700 for a couple of hours and then just plan on going straight into a clean burn when I'm done.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    How long did you leave the pizza stone in the egg at 600 before putting the pizza in?  It takes time for the stone to come up to temp and be heated all the way through.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

It takes 30-45 minutes to heat up all that ceramic (platesetter/stone) and have the temp stabilize.

Did you buy a deep dish pizza stone? Regular stones are flat with no edges or sides.