Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it the Egg or the Egger?

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I have learned much from the people on this forum. There are some great cooks (and photographers) here. The egg is obviously a great weapon in the war against mediocre food.

I have a LBGE at the moment. I'm considering trying to make a living out of my egging/cooking passion. I'm considering adding an XL (or 2) to my arsenal in order to increase my capacity. I believe I will need to make my cookers mobile (most likely in the form of a trailer). My question is, are there other types of large capacity smokers that can produce the same great results as we all see on the Egg?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Meat monster
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tulocay
    Options
    Thanks @badinfluence‌ . Had a feeling you would chime in with the meat monster. Will definitely check it out.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ . Is that the 24 x 72 you have?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @tulocay it's called a mmif stands for meat monster internal firebox. Base price is not bad it's the options that will zip you pretty good but do love the cooker
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

I've never used one of these but have had food from them at catered events. Not bad! (probably get banned again for this)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• badinfluence
    Options
    @Little Steven‌ do they still even make the keg?

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @tulocay‌ also Chek out a jamboree nice cookers also j3 or j5. I chose the mm due to the insulation it has and being in iowa and cooking in the winter alot of heat is lost thru the thinner cookers

Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    If I was cooking BBQ for a living I would look at commercial cookers, think big.
    Jacksonville FL
  • tulocay
    Options
    @badinfluence‌ thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on the extra insulation on the mm causing it to cook more the egg (given its ceramics)?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Huh...with the mm I can cook abut 300 lbs of shoulder at 1 time...i need to tell the wife I need another one dang it

Clinton, Iowa
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Dobie said:
    If I was cooking BBQ for a living I would look at commercial cookers, think big.
    Exactly. Southern Pride all the way. Our lodge owns one. Do 65 to 70 butts at a time. Always turns out perfect!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• badinfluence
    Options
    @tulocay‌ the mm is double walled steel with a layer of ceramic material in between. Makes for a heavy cooker but holds temp great and the outside wall stays cool to the touch. The lid also has ajustable spring tenting. It takes more force to close my lid then to open it.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Turning your passion into your livelyhood often reduces the value of both. Food for thought as they say...The world needs work, it makes our passionate pastimes more coveted. For most of us anyway. YMMV.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Also take a look at Meadow Creek. They make some nice cookers, lots of options.
    http://www.meadowcreekbarbecue.com

I have used the PR series personally and temp control is just as easy as the egg. That is if its not windy. Wind with a metal cooker is a great heatsink. Not matter what a metal cooker is not as efficient on fuel usage as compared to the egg. I have no experience with the MM as mentioned by @badinfluence but the ceramic in steel walls idea sound interesting.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh, also wanted to mention. Be sure to check with your local/county/state health departments as to regulations for vending potentially hazardous foods. Here in PA you need to prep everything in a commercially licensed and inspected kitchen. There are places you can rent time from, etc. But regulations can make it tough to get started.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    Options
    @DMW‌ thanks for all the advice.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA