Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What am I doing wrong?

So the other night I was putting some steaks on my large BGE and I like grilling them at about 500 degrees, but for some odd reason I couldn't get the temp that high without opening the top all the way...I just don't get why it didn't get as hot as it normally does...HELP!?!?!
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Have you cleaned out the ash? Are the vent holes clogged? If you can't get to temp it's usually an air flow issue.
  • bearBGEbearBGE Posts: 129
    Yeah I just cleaned out everything the night before...I'll have to grill on it tomorrow to see if it goes where I want it to...oh darn  :P
    ·
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 10,223
    Airflow.
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
    ·
  • jerryb78jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Were you getting down to the bottom of your bag of lump? I think I've had similar issues when I dumped a lot of small pieces / dust in to too things off.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
    ·
  • ChillyWillisChillyWillis Posts: 545
    If the air holes are clean, then have you removed the circle/ fire ring/ fire box and removed all of the ash from the outside?

Like the others have said is sounds like an airflow issue.
    ·
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 946
    If you took the firebox out make sure it
    Is lined back up correctly. You should be able to look through the screen directly into the bottom of the egg and the fire box opening should be lined up with the vent hole.
    Bristow Virginia XLBGE One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
    ·
  • Sounds like the airflow is restricted. If all the ash is cleaned out, even around the outside of the fire box, then put your largest pieces go lump on the grate first. If that doesn't work then maybe the lump was damp?
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,343

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • DeckhandDeckhand Posts: 318
    I 2nd. the Hi-Que fire grate.  It increases airflow and won't plug up with tiny pieces that work their way down through the pile of lump.  Watch out of pea sized embers that may fall through the bars and pop out the lower vent... Keep the screen closed.  

Your newfound forge temps. may create another problem, though.  I found myself mumbling: "Under a spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands...the muscles on his brawny arms are strong as iron bands"   Oops... Just torched the steak... 
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 940

It's all about your fire and air flow, low and slow or hot and go, I'm two years in to this addiction and finally getting a handle on it, not that is hard there is just a bit of a learning curve for different cooks with different temps and set ups.

Chuck

Dimondale Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

·
  • Same thing here with some burgers, chicken, and steaks.... Was at the end of a bag and only had small pieces left; got clogged up and had to cook with a small camping fan blowing into the lower vent to keep air flowing.

Did a clean out and removed a lot of ash from around the firebox. Now is back to a rocket motor if I don't watch it!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are still in our right minds!

·
  • Brisket_FanaticBrisket_Fanatic Posts: 1,561
    When grilling at high heat, take the dfmt completely off. Anything lower than 325 and there is no reason to have the metal top on
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • bearBGEbearBGE Posts: 129
    When the cast iron top was off I had flames shooting out the top...HAHA thanks for everyones advice I was grilling pizza's tonight and the temp was consistent at 450!!!!
    ·
  • Ladeback69Ladeback69 Posts: 2,198
    I cook my steaks at 650 to 700 in 8 minutes and they are a perfect medium. I never use the daisy wheel when cooking steaks unless I am doing a beef tenderloin with the plate setter.
    XL, WSM 
    Kansas City, Mo.
    ·