Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Bacon question

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
I was inspired by a couple threads here recently to try Canadian Bacon using Buckboard Bacon Cure.  The recipe in the box involves rubbing a pork loin with the rub, letting it set in the fridge for a week, pouring off the excess water and flipping, fridge for another week, then soaking in clean water for a short time, and smoking to an internal temp of 140.  
The instructions then state that, at this point, the bacon is cured and smoked, but still needs to be "cooked".  Commercial Canadian Bacon I've purchased has always stated "pre-cooked" on the package, and I've used it on pizza, sammiches, or just sliced it thin to nibble with a cold beer.  My reference "meat cook temp refrigerator magnet" states that the ideal cooked temp for pork is 135-145, and that's supposedly safe before I age it covered with chemicals for two weeks and then smoke it.
So, my question: if I smoke it to 140 (which happens Friday, in two days!) is it good to eat without further cooking?  I would think it would be...

Okay, second question:  what kind of smoke for Canadian Bacon?  I was planning on oak, but neither the Buckboard instructions nor my Charcuterie book give any hints.

Thanks!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I usually smoke Canadian Bacon until it reaches an IT of 150F. It can then be eaten as is or grilled in a pan. 140F is most likely fine taking into consideration that the meat was previously cured. However, my understanding is that the main risk with pork is mainly related to parasites (as opposed to bacteria). From what I recall, two things can kill said parasites, extreme cold and temperatures over 147F. That being said, pork is now said to be safer than it was in the past and I eat pork tenderloin cooked up to an IT of 130F on a regular basis...

So far I have used apple, cherry, maple and hickory. Apple is the best wood in my opinion.

I did Canadian Bacon twice but with a brine rather than a rub.  I smoked with Apple to 140 IT and it was great. Between the cure and the cook, it is safe to eat without further cooking based on everything I have read.  

When I did it, I though I was curing a pork loin for city ham, and that Canadian bacon was done with a dry rather than brine cure.  Howwever, according to the Ruhlman book (which I purchased later), the brine makes Canadian bacon.  At any rate, I am sure that what you have is Canadian bacon, and of you cook/smoke to 140 IT, you should be safe to eat it as-is.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    It's been a while but I used to use the recipe from Morton Tender Quick. I think I smoked it to 150 or 152 as they suggest.
    Dearborn MI
  • Botch
    Thanks guys!  I don't think I have apple, will pick some up on the way home tonight.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• KenfromMI
    @Botch I prefer Sugar Maple for mine over Apple.
    Dearborn MI
  • FWIW from a Canadian, the thought of smoking an entire cured pork loin is kind of weird.  We don't eat it that way at all. Typically, it's cured, sliced and then fried as a healthy(er) alternative to bacon.  The idea of making a roast of it is just... odd.

This is, however, 39 years of "this is how it's done" talking.  When I put that aside, I ask myself "why not?" and it certainly sounds delicious.  No doubt I'd miss the lovely caramelized burnt spots from the flattop, but I'm confident it'd be excellent as a roast, too.
  • @biggreenmatt‌
    I'm a redneck from arkansas, but I totally agree. We eat ours sliced and fried in place of bacon.

Little Rock, AR

• KenfromMI
    I agree, after smoking it, it is sliced and fried as well.
    Dearborn MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's good to eat as is.  It's frequently used thinly sliced in sammiches.

Sweet.  I'm a redneck from Toronto!
  • Botch
    I plan on eating it both ways!   \:D/

• grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    From another canuk I always take my "Canadian" bacon and add a rub to it and cook low and slow for about 2 hrs.(around 225) and then can refreeze if frozen before and take out what I need slice it up and fry or egg
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • Ive been using DP pineapple head and some black pepper for the rub then slow smoke it at 225 til 140. We usually eat it up within few weeks so havent bothered freezing it.

Little Rock, AR

• Botch
    B-U-M-P

Got 'er done today!
    Was cool seeing the meat transform with the rub (got darker in color, and firmer to the touch).  Soaked it for two hours to get the remaining rub off, and then I tied the two small pieces (which tapered to a point) back-to-back to get even cooking (then added some Dizzy Pig to one, just because):

I then put the smallest of the three in the center, hoping everything would arrive at 140 simultaneously; by the time everything was at least 140, some parts were at 150, I'll call that good!

They didn't look like Canadian bacon when they came off my Large, but one slice and they looked perfect!  

I fried a few slices briefly in butter, delicious but a tad salty.  Now that they've chilled and I've tried it cold, the seasoning is spot-on.  
    A fun project.  I've always wanted to try a full pork-belly american bacon, but my fridge space is limited and my slicer kind've small; this was a good-sized project to start with.  
    And the flavor's soo good, it's pushing me to make some fridge space!      
    :D

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    That looks like a mighty fine bunch of Canadian Bacon!
    Enjoy!
    =D>
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Did you say full pork belly? Just got done rinsing off 13 lbs to set back in the fridge to dry out and smoke it tmrrw! Super easy. U gotta try it. BTW your Canadian bacon looks awesome. Made some about a month ago but did it in a wet brine. Makes awesome pizza toppings :)image
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    edited July 2014
    This was my attempt a few weeks ago.
    It came out good!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ