Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alder smoked salmon

Options
It was good to get back into the saddle and do some work-week Egging. Salt, pepper and a handful Alder chips. Hot smoked at 275 degrees indirect for 40 minutes where the internal temp was 145 degrees. A nice bed of salad greens and it hit the spot. Yes, I negated most of the health benefits by using Ranch dressing but I just had a hankering for it. image
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looks great, I always do Salmon on a cedar plank I have alder wood how does it compare to cedar plank?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    @JRWhitee - I use cedar planks too but felt like Alder. Alder is very mild - less so than cedar and it reminds me of my childhood in the Pacific Northwest (I know I'm being vague.) Alder is also good for pork and chicken. You can <usually> find it at your big-box retailers in chip form. Have not found it in chunks. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    Thank @cymbaline65 I do have some chips but have not used them but will, I usually stick with Cherry and Pecan.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

Nothing wrong with those woods, either. I do think that Alder is the best fit for salmon IMHO. SWMBO feels the same. I love doing pork loins and chops on a cedar plank....yum.

• JRWhitee
    Options
    I have only done Salmon on cedar planks, I will have to expand my horizons. Thank you.

Johns Creek, Georgia