Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Edward Lee's Pulled Lamb BBQ - Slightly Tweaked

Options
Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
I had been looking for something different to do on the egg, and I came across a recipe for pulled lamb in Edward Lee's book 'Smoke & Pickles', a cookbook I highly recommend. I used a boneless leg of lamb rather than a lamb shoulder, primarily because I couldn't find a shoulder and I had the leg in the deep freeze.

I did follow the rub recipe faithfully, combining 2 T kosher salt, 1 teaspoon of cayenne, and 1 tablespoon each of black pepper, dry mustard, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder and brown sugar. I rubbed almost all of the mixture all over the leg of lamb and let it sit out for about 35 minutes while I got the egg locked in around 260.

I got the lamb on the egg with a copious amount of cherry chips (recipe called for hickory, but oak and maple are the only non-fruit/nut wood SWMBO won't complain about) and let it smoke for about 1 hour 15 minutes. Here it is going on, and then resting after the smoke and before a braise.
imageimage

Got it into the DO, with about 3.5 cups beef broth, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon tamari, and 1 teaspoon chipotle sauce. Put it back on the egg and brought it up to 330; and let it go about 2.5 hours, flipping the leg in the liquid once, about midway through. I don't know what the IT was, I could start pulling with 2 forks, and slapped some 3 day old rolls to toast.

imageimage

We served the lamb on the rolls, with some of the jus drizzled on the lamb and in a dipping bowl, with some simple steamed yellow beans.

It turned out extremely well, and got a ton of praise from everyone at the table.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Any left? I can be there in about 2 hours...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    DMW said:

Any left? I can be there in about 2 hours...

There was a fair bit of leftovers; I actually saved all of the jus, some night this week I'll probably skim some of the fat that's collected on the top, peel and cut up some potato and carrot, and turn the whole thing into a soup.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!! That looks really good. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.