Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Having a lot of problem with my DigiQ DX2

Options

My temp works ok but not great. My meat prob is trying to work but wont make it through a cook and I have way over cooked 4 pcs of expensive meat putting my trust in this thing. Any of you guys have this trouble?
Guru has got to be the worst personal service i have ever dealt with and I have dealt with a lot. I have pulled my hair out over this thing. there is no way you can get in on the telephone nor will they return your call.

Thanks for listening

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Have you check the calibration of the probes in boiling water? First thing I do with a newly acquired temp sensing device. Also repeat on a regular basis to check again. Which reminds me, been awhile since I checked on all of mine, might be an afternoon project today.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    I cook the old fashioned way, with a thermapen. Never failed me.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    There is a learning curve to get consistent results.
    Can you tell us about your setup and specific problem?
    What temp are you cooking at? 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I've never had temp problems with my DigiQ.

Ditto on the advice about checking the probes in boiling water. (just the probe in the water, not the wire)

And what do you mean by "wont make it through a cook"?  Does it stop reading the temp during the cook?
    If so, that sounds like an intermittent connection.  If the probe connects in fine to the controller (not loose or anything weird) and works well at room temp and then starts working flaky at higher temps, it sounds like you need to replace your probes.  Probes can and will go bad.  excessive tight bending of the wire is not good.  don't wash your probes and wires in water.  I only wash the part of the probe that goes in the meat. A little hot water, scrub with SOS, rinse and dry.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I have 2 - Digi Q DX's a Cyber Q and a Party Q.  Other than the occasional probe failing I've never had a problem.  I always keep a couple spare probes on hand.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mine has always worked perfectly. When I first got it, I had a question so I called them. They answered the phone and transferred me to someone who answered my question. No problems or questions since then.

Are you connecting the probe wires to the digiq before powering it up?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mean406
    Mean406 Posts: 4
    Options
    Mine worked perfect right out of the box. If it won't calibrate you may have a bad unit. Happens to all electronics at one time or another. Be carefull with the probe wires. Do not kink them or use water on them. I learned this the hard way with another thermometer.