Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Pork to die for

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
Couple of weeks ago, I had my first taste of Berkshire pork. Very very good.

A week ago, I had a few bites of this.

Y'know how canned corn doesn't compared with fresh from the stalk? Same with the above, and standard store bought pork.

It was Ossabaw pork, the fattest pigs in the world. If any of you get a chance for some of the heritage breeds, Mulefoot or Manglitsa for instance, it will probably be worth the price and effort.

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Couple of weeks ago, I had my first taste of Berkshire pork. Very very good.

A week ago, I had a few bites of this.

Y'know how canned corn doesn't compared with fresh from the stalk? Same with the above, and standard store bought pork.

It was Ossabaw pork, the fattest pigs in the world. If any of you get a chance for some of the heritage breeds, Mulefoot or Manglitsa for instance, it will probably be worth the price and effort.

That link looks amazing.  Agree with you on the Berkshire and I think the same can be said for jamon iberico de bellota making every other cured pork product taste 'meh'.  My wife and I had a plate each at one of the best meals we've ever had.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Ossabaw island hogs were either released or got away from the Spanish back in the 1500s. They are directly related to the Iberico, w. the difference that they mutated to store more fat.

They are hard to raise. Very "active," (the chef still had a bite on his hand from a few weeks earlier), and small as pigs go, but the few bites I had was sort of like pig butter. Mouth watering was a completely accurate description.