Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get crispy skin!

Options
bugplutt
bugplutt Posts: 5
Hi all,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I can't get nice crispy skin on whole chickens. I tend to do them at 375' indirect. They cook beautifully but the skin is always a bit rubbish. I do use rubs on the outside but pat the chicken with kitchen towel before I put it on. 

Any ideas?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @bugplutt‌ Go raised direct at 375℉-425℉.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

Coat the skin with butter before you put your seasoning on, it will help brown it up, also get it higher up in the dome. the last chicken I did was at 275 to 300 for about hour and a half and the skin was almost like cracklins. Otherwise you can also finish it direct like this one.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @bugplutt - I laughed out loud at your handle as I misread it the first time just as you planned! Good one!

If you wish to stay indirect, I would ramp up the temp to 425 and get the chicken higher in the dome. This gets the radiant heat from the dome to crisp up the skin more. The other thing that helps a lot is to let the bird sit uncovered in the fridge overnight to dry the skin. 

Another secret is to use a little corn starch or baking powder mixed in with your rub. I get very dry skin this way but it has been a little tough for my liking.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Pollo al mattone: Cut it in half and cook it under foiled bricks and be patient. Cook skin side down over direct at 325 for abt 15 minutes with bricks on top. Flip and cook for another 10 or so (also under the bricks). You WILL get crispy skin.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    400 RAISED / DIRECT
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Raised direct but flip skin side down for last few minutes!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    spatch it, cook raised direct skin side down til crispy and colorful, then flip. cook the skin side first has always worked for me, even doing it wet right out of a bag of marinade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    400 * F, direct and  high in the dome.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• bugplutt
    bugplutt Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks all. How are you raising your grid? Bricks or is there some trick I don't know. Many thanks for the advice. Think I'm cooking chicken tonight now!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    There are many ways to raise the grid from bolts, to bricks, to beer cans and others. I use an Adjustable Rig from ceramicgrillstore.com.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    bugplutt said:
    Thanks all. How are you raising your grid? Bricks or is there some trick I don't know. Many thanks for the advice. Think I'm cooking chicken tonight now!

With the Adjustable Rig ( but w/o the stone ). image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.