Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick or dome?

Options
Doing turbo babies right now.  The BGE dome thermo says about 320, but my maverick with the BBQ sensor running thru the daisy wheel positioned at roughly the same height as the dome thermo says 380.  I'm inclined to trust the Maverick, esp since there's a little condensation in the thermo glass.  Agree?  
My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
LBGE in Arlington, VA
God Bless America!

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I'd calibrate both of them when you have a chance... no sense guessing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    agreed on calibrating... but after 30 mins they have settled in at a more acceptable delta... about 20 degrees from dome to Mav.  The Maverick is fairly new so I'm going with it as the truth.
    My daughter named my Egg Shrek, because it is big, green, and burps.  
    LBGE in Arlington, VA
    God Bless America!
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Put them both in boiling water (not submerged), they should both read 212.

I find that removing my egg cover I occasionally end up inadvertently adjusting the dome temp gauge based on the friction of the cover moving past it.  Over time this can lead to inaccurate readings, a quick 10min reset has everything back to normal.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I just recalibrated this weekend; found my XL thermo about 30 degrees off.  Medium right on the money.  It's good information.
    Santa Paula, CA