Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2-2-1 spicy sticky ribs

Hi all

Thought I'd share my second cook.

Yesterday morning, knowing I'd probably be hungover today after a wedding in the afternoon, I bought a substantial pork rib and made a rub. The rub consisted of 50% muscovado sugar and raw sugar, chilli powder, ground ginger, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper corns all ground the pestle and mortar. This was generously plastered over the rib which I'd taken the membrane off.

Fired up the egg with a generous load of smoking chips and when up to 230f I put the ribs on. Heat indirect using the place setter. Found it tricky to keep the heat at 230 - with vents all but closed seemed to be sit happily at 270. The rib smoked for 2 hours, was wrapped in foil and then cooked for a further two. Just before the last hour I made a sticky sauce with a clove of garlic, soy, ketchup and chilli (lazy chopped red chilli and a few drops of habanero sauce). This I coated the ribs with for the final hour, basting more every 15 minutes. I mixed all the cooking juices from the foil into the wet mix to help the basting. Again the result were epic - this time served with a red cabbage, carrot and apple slaw with chips.
Guy from Kingston upon Thames, UK.

Comments