Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got to try Mickey's Rub

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Made up a batch of Mickey's Rub tonight and put it on spatchcock chicken. It was Eggcredible. Used the rub recipe from @Mickey‌ on one of the chickens and BGE Whirly Bird on the other.

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33‌ hard to see but, did you run with indirect here. I did the same with Mickey's on Spatchcock but went raised direct at 400℉-425℉.
    Looks great man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great. I'm a fan of the coffee rub on chickens also. I need to try it on a pork tenderloin soon.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    Options
    i've got this rub recipe printed and on my list of things to make, can't wait to try it! Good looking spatchcock!
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice chickens. Try it on sirloin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @stemc33‌ hard to see but, did you run with indirect here. I did the same with Mickey's on Spatchcock but went raised direct at 400℉-425℉. Looks great man!

Thanks. It's raised direct. Raised the grate with firebricks. I've only done spatchcock raised direct. Actually, I think I got the idea from reading one of your post. Started this cook a little hot. I put the chicken on when the Egg was 500 degrees and adjusted the vents to bring it down to 375 degrees. It was only at 500 degrees for a few minutes.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33‌ appears you had very delicious results even with the short 500℉ spike. Nice job.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    I'm finally getting a chance to try Mickey's rub on a Chuck Roast and have a couple of questions:

1. How thick should I rub it on?

2. Should I let the rub-covered roast stay in the refrigerator overnight uncovered or covered?

3. What type of wood chunks do you recommend (Apple/Oak/Hickory/Peach, etc.) that will enhance the flavor of the meat?

I plan to rub the roast tonight and put it on the BGE tomorrow morning.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose