Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Meatloaf

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
I am on my own tonight with my two girls.  We were thinking of making venison meatloaf.  I have plenty of venison, I just need to run to the store to get the other ingredients.  My question to you, what is your favorite recipe for meatloaf?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    Options
  • bhugg
    Options
    Looks yum. How did you do it?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I like a 'trinity' of ground beef, veal and pork. I caramelize onions, mushrooms and chopped red peppers before adding to the mixture. Panko, egg, thyme, sage, tomato (small chunks), wooster sauce, s & p, (sometimes oregano). BBQ sauce on top instead of ketchup. I sometimes add diced cooked bacon too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2014
    Options
    There is a link in this also for some variations.

Meatballs, Meatloaf, Beef, Pork, Venison, Richard Fl

Did a batch of meatballs 325F for 45 minutes indirect with rosemary wood for smoke.

1 Meatloaf and 52-2 Ozs meatballs
    INGREDIENTS:
    21/2 Lbs Venison, Ground for Chili
    1 1/3 Lbs. Ground Chuck
    1 3/4 Lbs. Ground Pork
    3 Whole Eggs
    10 Ozs Italian Bread Crumbs
    1 Large Vidalia Onion, Chopped Medium
    1/2-3/4 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/2-3/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    2-3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
    1-1 1/2 Pkg. Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 1/2 Cups Cooked, Broken thai Jasmine rice, cooked in beef broth
    1/2 Lb White Button Mushrooms, diced
    Coarse Peppermill Black Pepper, to taste
    *****Sauce, 1 Meatloaf*****
    1 Cup Spicy Ketchup
    1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
    1/2-3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
    2-3 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
    Ground Pepper to taste

PROCEDURE:

1. I did half meatloaf and 1/2 meatballs. Recipe works either way.
    Meat balls were cooked BGE indirect 325°F for 45 minutes and pulled around 160-170°F. did not add any sauce to the meatballs while cooking.

2. The meat recipe makes 2 nice 10 inch diameter loaves and they are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick. The sauce is for one meatloaf. The meat recipe may be halved or the other loaf frozen, which is what I do.

3. When mixing the meat and other ingredients, mix about 1/3 saltine crackers and 2/3 Pepper Ridge stuffing, do in 1/4 -1/2 cup portions so as not to dry out the mixture. (Optional) used just bread crumbs this time.

4. Covered with the sauce at the beginning of the cook.

5. You want the sauce to be thick. if necessary thin with water or more vinegar. Slather all over! Nice to have a little sauce left over, to serve with.

Yield: 1 Meatloaf and 52-2 Ozs meatballs

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/09/05*

Author Notes
    2008/09/14--Richard Fl--did this one this weekend and placed about 1/3 pound provolone cheese in the middle.  Great Cheese Meatloaf.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    You could go English and put 2 or 3 peeled, boiled eggs in the middle. Like a Veal & Ham Pie without the pastry.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    For a different take on meatloaf, google 1770 House meatloaf. Mrs. G saw it on Ina Garten and we adapted it to fit the Egg. It's on the blog somewheres. Very good stuff. Might need to make it this weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bhugg
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I followed your recipe for smoked meatloaf except I used 1.5lbs of venison and 1lb of ground pork.

Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    The Collucci Brother's recipe from Bobby Flay's Throwdown? How did you like it? Went back and re read my post on it. Somedays, I look at my old posts and think, "Gee, I really should reshoot some of those pictures" (which I have on some), but then I think I should just leave them. Kinda as a "I went from that to now" I do need to go back and edit it and change that final temp from 165, though. That is way higher than I would ever go with meatloaf now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe