Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Chuck Roast Results

Options
I was hoping for the 5 1/2lb Chuck to pull like pull pork, but no......I slow cooked at 220 degrees controlled by my Stoker for 9 hours. After 9 hours the internal temp was 155. I wrapped in foil and put in a 400 degree oven for 2 hours then removed and put in my insulated pizza bag to rest another 2 hours. This had a nice hard bark so I chopped the meat and let people chose to use sauce or no sauce. Three out of four used sauce but both loved the flavor and texture. I would have liked it to be a little more moist but the flavor without sauce was great. I will do another like this soon.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Why did ya have to finish in the oven John? Low on lump or just personal choice? Any pics? Plated or otherwise? It certainly sounds excellent.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I have had chuckies take much longer than even remotely planned (worse than a butt or brisket)  to get to the pullable stage.  It can mess up your plans, for sure.  Sounds like a successful audible.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am guessing Turbo Chuck might not be pull-able.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Answer to questions......if I wrap anything to finish I always finish in the oven. Once wrapped there is no advantage to keeping in Egg....turbo cook? I only do low and slow in the Egg. That is my personal preference.....my next cook will be a shoulder clod so I can compare the difference between the two cuts of meat
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    My experience with Chuck roast is also that they take a lot longer and are still much harder to pull than pork. I do typically end up foiling with some kind of liquid although I add some jalapeños, onions, and red pepper to the foil.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I've only done three. Maybe I just got lucky on the last one but it pulled easier than pork. It went 8 hrs at 275 wrapped for the last hr. I put a little red wine in the wrap. Pulled at 215 internal. Fwiw.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @thailandjohn‌ FWIW I guess I just figure the BGE is already hot and to bump to 400℉ for 2 hrs to finish would be easily done VS the oven. But, that's just me. No right or wrong necessarily (whatever works :-) ).

I personally haven't done pulled chuck roast on the egg. I've done em up in a crock pot before. +1 on what @Jeremiah‌ said with a lil red wine in the foil on wrapping for moisture content.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2014
    Options

Clods / Chuck roast will come out perfect every time (easy pulling) if you cook them at 250º grid temp and take them to 210 -215º (the most important part of this is the finishing temp).  No need for foil or overthinking it, keep it simple.  Trust me, I do them all the time, my favorite BBQ meat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin