Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Charcoal Substitute?

Options
Is there an acceptable substitute for BGE brand charcoal or should I just stay with the original? thx

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    There are dozens and dozens brands of lump charcoal out there.  Search the board for "Firecraft" and you will find a source for some very good brands.  Here are a few reviews of different brands:  The Lump Charcoal Database
    The Naked Whiz
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Royal Oak makes the BGE brand charcoal. Comes in a red bag and here is their website.

Royal Oak Hardwood Lump
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• TigerDunes
    TigerDunes Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you for both replies. Do I understand that the Royal Oak lump charcoal is equal to the BGE brand? If so, that will shorten a 10 mile trip to BGE dealer to a 3-5 minute trip. Getting ready for the 4th. Happy Holiday!
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Royal Oak/BGE brand same lump, different color bag.

Opelika, Alabama
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Thank you for both replies. Do I understand that the Royal Oak lump charcoal is equal to the BGE brand? If so, that will shorten a 10 mile trip to BGE dealer to a 3-5 minute trip. Getting ready for the 4th. Happy Holiday!
    Last time I bought the BGE brand of charcoal, the bag said somewhere on it "Made by Royal Oak" or "Packaged by Royal Oak" or something similar. I bought several Royal Oak bags from Walmart, could not tell a difference from the BGE charcoal bags, other than the price.

So, yes, buying Royal Oak should be the same thing, only cheaper and a shorter trip for you.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    ads75 said:
    Last time I bought the BGE brand of charcoal, the bag said somewhere on it "Made by Royal Oak" or "Packaged by Royal Oak" or something similar. I bought several Royal Oak bags from Walmart, could not tell a difference from the BGE charcoal bags, other than the price.

So, yes, buying Royal Oak should be the same thing, only cheaper and a shorter trip for you.
    +1 ^^^^
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• sofakingbald
    Options
    As a BGE noob, tried my first Royal Oak bag this weekend. Had only used the BGE coals before that. RO is exactly the same and I walked out of wally world with two bags for $12. 

I want to try Wicked but they need more deals with retailers in Texas first - shipping is not economical.
    BGE novice from Arlington, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Where do you live in Texas? RO is available in 17 lbs bags at Home Depot. B&B from Academy is not bad, but I think RO is better. Central Market brand lump is also pretty good, if you can find it on sale. Rockwood is my favorite, and a decent price if you buy it by the pallet with some folks. Its also available at firecraft.com

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.