Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ancho Chili Quest Fail

Started out on Sunday searching for Ancho Chili to make Mickeys Rub. Cook starts tonight so I didn't have time to order online. That is without giving an arm and leg for shipping. I searched all the main stores then started looking at health food stores. Called everywhere, but found nothing. So I came up with these ingredients: Medaglia D'oro instant espresso coffee Golden Brown sugar Savory Ground Black &Red Chipotle Kosher Salt Savory Spanish Sweet Paprika Garlic Black Pepper Tasted okay dry. Who knows what'll be like cooked on pork butts. Time will tell.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited June 2014
    Those pork butts will be no good. Send them my way when finished for proper disposal. :))

That sounds like a decent rub. You could add some regular chili powder and see how it is.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never would have considered using coffee rub on a butt. Good luck with what you wound up with.

The next time I cook a butt or shoulder, I'm going to use salt and maybe some black pepper. With oak wood for smoke. Period. Per the video in the Skylight Inn thread.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Personally I never even spent 1 minute looking for that! Instead I substituted Mexene Chili Powder which is readily available around the US and has ample kick. I just figure I'm not having Mickey taste my food so he can't call me out for not using the right thing, and I will never know the difference anyway!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Just wanted to try Mickey's Rub because of all the hype. At least I'm trying the coffee part. :))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    stemc33 said:
    Just wanted to try Mickey's Rub because of all the hype. At least I'm trying the coffee part. :))

Send me your address via airmail. mjrawls@me.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    stemc33 said:

I hear you! I am now on to my 4th batch of it and we like it on pork butts, spare ribs and chicken. When I read your list that was the first time I saw paprika listed. Now before CarolinaQ chimes in let me explain I will make simple rub recipes, but back when I was producing "Witchy Red" a formulation created by the late Master Ken Stone it had 11 spices of which only a few were readily available and has to be purchased in bulk at that! As I recall I would assemble about $150 in spices to make it and then have much of the most expensive ingredients left over and those were the ones with short shelf lives. As I said last night I love the many varieties of DP rubs and making them yourself is not always cost worthy...but with Mickey's rub that is basically a quick trip through the cupboard.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ron, you didn't SAY you needed $150 worth of stuff to make a rub. If I was doing that, I'd buy DP too! I would never even think of doing it though. If it cost that much, I'll settle for s&p. I doubt I have spent $150 on all the spices I have ever bought!  :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Michael, I guess I should have highlighted the one key word of PRODUCING the Witchy Red. I was able to sell enough to re-coop some of my expense and still had enough mix left over to seal in Food Saver bags and freeze them for years. It was just last March that we used the last of the Witchy Red. We loved that rub, but as Ken Stone told me in a private email before he died it was his most expensive formulation and most people wouldn't pay the price needed to re-coop his investment in ingredients due to the out of balance of costs.