Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rolling/stuffing meats

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
OK - What's the secret?  Every time I stuff either chicken, pork or steak most of the stuffing falls out and especially when using cheese.

How I have tried. 

pork loin - butterflied,cut thin and pounded flat. 
Stuffed with sauteed spinach, cream cheese garlic
Rolled up and ties with most of the filling escaping.
After its cooked  spinach is all that remains.

Same for chicken.
Tried to make chicken cordon blue rolls.

Butterflied and pounded chicken thighs flat. 
used slice deli ham and deli swiss cheese.
Rolled up
After cooked no cheese was left.

Whats the secret?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can either tuck the ends or keep the cheese in the middle so it has room to melt. I try to create a "pocket" by bunching a little of the other ingredients along the edge. Another option is to use a non-melting cheese, like Feta.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2014
    Options
    This would be one of the reasons I keep intending to buy meat glue.

But, for stuffed meat rolls, I make sure I don't fill to the end edges, and have string not just around the roll, but a loop from end to end to crimp the ends. Give them a little roll, and then tie.

I also use not very melty cheese like a mixture of provolone and parmasan. Be sure spinach is well drained. Keep the moisture down.

For chicken breast, and some other cuts, I just slice a pocket into them, and fill that. No pounding. If adding breading, the egg wash, if it sits chilling for awhile, forms a seal that helps keep the split edges together.

Oh, and most recipes assume that the rolls are being cooked in a pan, so even if they do leak, the cheese is still there to be scooped back on top.
  • clintmiller
    clintmiller Posts: 147
    Options
    For pork loin, I keep the stuffing from falling out by covering the ends with bacon (and the rest of the pork loin as well).
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    You can also cover the ends with foil.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i tie like gdenby said, tighter on the ends and the final end to end wrap, also starting with a hotter cook will brown and skin over some escaping cheese on the ends during the beginning of the cook, i sometimes cook abt's cream cheese side down when putting them on the grill for the first 15 or so minutes to firm up the cream cheese first
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Some hard Meditterrean cheeses are great for not melting away.

Drip pans with water, beer or wine help catch the cheese should it melt out.