Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco ribs

Options
Today I smoked a 3pack of baby backs using car wash mikes approach, I usually have pretty successful cooks, but today the ribs were real fatty very tender but fatty. Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Isn't that desirable? You would trim the 'excess' and BBQ them to render most of the rest? You don't want lean ribs methinks. 'Prime pork'!
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    From Costco 3 packs? Never, actually feel they are too lean if anything when I buy them from Costco.

Dearborn MI
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    I'm with you on this, I did ribs as well from costco this weekend and thought the same thing
    Durham, NC
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I haven't had any issue with the Costco Ribs.  Haven't needed to trim them and they remove that thin membrane on the inside which is nice.

Must have just been a bad batch I guess.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Have done roughly 3 packs of those over the last few months and they've all been great. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have not had any problems either, @fenc0407 do you shop at the Costco on Windward?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    I was there on Saturday to buy a 2 pack pork shoulder. Used to be about $18 - now $38 to $40!!
    Bought wings instead.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• fence0407
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I have not had any problems either, @fenc0407 do you shop at the Costco on Windward?
    Yup! Unfortunately, we spend a good amount of money at that Costco. That's what happens when you live within walking distance (and they have a liquor store).

You shop there too? 
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I do, I help out PT over at BobbyG's in the Aldi's shopping center on Hwy 9 and Webb so its easy to stop in there.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    Options
    Nice - never eaten at BobbyG's, but heard it was good. Maybe we'll give it a try soon. Running out of "new" places to eat at in that area.
    Cumming, GA  

• JRWhitee
    Options
    The food and pizza is good there, it is sports themed restaurant with plenty TV's and Craft beer. I work some weekends ask for Jim.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    Options
    Good to know! 
    Cumming, GA  

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I've, unfortunately have lowered my meat purchases at Costco - Not sure what happened but the quality is just not there any more (Kitchener).   

Stopped buying ribs there as they were just not worth it (they put the nice one on top and a not so nice one hidden underneath.   Price of steak have gone up by $10 or more for less meat.   Bought a double pack beef roast last month, cooked it ... and then sent them to the green bin (Organic waste) - it was like eating a boot (not that I ever eaten a boot).    Just bought hamburger and it was OK.   Pork chops are also of lower quality and not as thick.  Beef Stew meat is great!

I need to fill out a comment card when I get a chance.  Maybe it's just our family - probably time to go vegan! 

There is a local Portuguese deli where I buy my meat now.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    We get chicken and pork tenderloin and loins at Costco. Cut the loins into chops. We've never had an issue with any of it. The pork ribs can be hit or miss.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Maybe they are trying to compete with Sams club and have been bringing in lower quality meat LOL. The Costco by me in MI has a great counter and everything is always good quality. The butcher will make you special cuts too if you knock on the glass and get his attention.
    Dearborn MI
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I believe the price of meat is up everywhere this year. However, as it relates to the ribs... Were they spare ribs or baby backs? I find most spares to fatty for my liking. But, I have also had baby's that were too lean. I do agree that they are crafty in putting the best rack in top.... The other two can be a crap shoot after that!!!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • PhillyBoy23
    Options
    I bought st Louis from Costco and when I opened up the cryo they stunk and were grey in spots. I'm done with Costco ribs.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I had some excellent St. Louis ribs from Costco 2 weeks ago, but decided that instead of the Filet Mignon I normally buy, I'd change it up and get rib eyes.  Never again!!  I had guests over Sunday, and while the rib eyes had good flavor, they were tough - yuck.  It was embarrassing.  Won't be buying rib eyes there again.  Hopefully there isn't a general decline in Costco quality.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Too lean, too fatty, grey spots, meat doesn't cook right, bla bla bla.  We've had a general decline in meat quality because of droughts and changes in supply and demand, especially with pork.  People demand low prices and factory farming gets more and more efficient - the main goal is producing weight in meat.  Sucks, right?  Gotta learn how to adapt your cooking to the meat.  Too fatty?  Trim off and render out fat.  Too lean?  Cook it sous vide.  Welcome to the future of food. 7.046 billion people on the planet with entire continents moving upward on the economic scale, increasing demand for meat.
    Options
    I hope my Costco hangs in there. So far so good. Like I said only complaint if I had one is once in a while the BB's that you can't see are a bit to lean. @mcmac that's why I prefer spares over BB's but when I'm cooking for my wife BB's usually win LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Maybe yo all need to start contacting corporate and letting them know you have noticed a decline. Costco meats aren't inexpensive by any means either.......Glad I have plenty of small butcher shops in the Detroit area if things go south. I prefer shopping there anyway but a one stop trip to Costco i easier and convenient at times. 
    Dearborn MI