Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

[PIX] My first "BEER N THA BUTT CHICKEN"

Options
Billy
Billy Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC07574.JPG
<p />
Brand new, used egg owner here...The story behind me becoming a egg owner is a little sad however, Lets just say i inherited the egg.[p]I cooked my very first beer in the butt chicken this weekend.[p]It went a little something like this:
http://www.internetpig.us/stuff/DSC07571.JPG
Thaw the chicken and rub it in and out with salt then with old bay seasoning.[p]Take a can of beer, pour out about half and fill it up with Italian dressing. shove the can in and put it on the egg at 300 for 2 hours....the hardest part was removing the can after it was done...any ideas for future can removal are welcome. The chicken smelled so good, the wings somehow disappeared in the cooking process. :)

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    hawgwild,
    If you oil the can before you put it into the bird, I've heard it aids in getting the can out.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    "Take a can of beer, pour out about half"[p]I hope you poured it into your mouth!!!
  • Billy
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]LOL, Yeah! thats what i ment to say.

• Carpe Ovum
    Carpe Ovum Posts: 2
    Options
    hawgwild,
    Congrats on your chicken, Beer can chicken was my first egg experience too. Go to Home Depot and get a beer can holder for cooking the chicken. I place that in a disposable alluminum cake pan for cooking. The holder gives you something to hang on to when removing the chicken and makes it much easier. If you tie the legs together loosly with string the chicken has a more pleasing look to it. Maybe its a woman thing, but I like that look better.

• egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    Carpe Ovum,[p]I can't be the only one waiting for Stump to comment on this, can I?
  • jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    hawgwild,
    This is what I use. Actually you can crve your bird while it is still on the sitter. Actually it is better because you can get to all of the meat with out having to handle it that much. Congrats on your first cook.

[ul][li]http://www.barbecue-store.com/willieschickensitters-turkey.htm[/ul]
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    hawgwild, since someone here mentioned that you don't need a beer can with the Egg, and since I saw that the BGE-brand vertical roasters don't have room to put a can in them, I quit using cans altogether. I just put the bird on a can holder to stand it up without the can, and it still makes the juiciest, tastiest bird this side of the Mississippi. Whichever side you're on ;~) I won't go back to using cans any more.[p]Just my two cents.

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    hawgwild,[p]I am SURE when you said "pour out" half the beer you meant "drink half"
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    hawgwild,
    Try this contraption. I won it at the TX Egg Fest and it works great. Joe

[ul][li]Poultry Pal[/ul]
  • Billy
    Options
    Smokin Joe,jake42 [p]Those look exactly like what i need, Thanks everyone for all the great tips.[p]Guess i shoulda introduced myself.
    I'm Billy from North Carolina, A coworker of my wife first exposed me to the secret world of the Big Green Egg, he would often invite us over when he would smoke a Boston butt or cook a London broil....I fell in love with the egg the moment i seen it! Sadly our friend passed away this year and i was asked to help move his belongings. For my service I was offered a motorcycle, or the egg of witch the family couldn't fit into the haul or didn't know what they had...I told them several times that i couldn't accept anything, that it just wouldn't be right...i'm so glad they asked one more time. [p]Our party friend will be missed, but not forgotten. [p]I have only used the egg 2 times...the first time i made the fire wrong and felt a little insecure about using the egg again, Lucky for me i found this site and the naked guy site, You guys know your eggs! hummmm? would that make you guys Egg Heads? lol. I'll post more stuff in the future.[p]Thanks again
    hawgwild

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    hawgwild,[p]Wonderful story! Welcome to the egg forum and yes, we are all eggheads, eggers and family here.
    Everything you will need to know about cooking on the bge can be found on this board.... just ask... and again, welcome![p]John

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    hawgwild,
    wow - what a story... the best way to honor your pal is to keep that egg fired up. Welcome! Joe

• Unknown
    Options
    hawgwild,
    I agree with the others, if you have an egg, a chickens butt is no place for an otherwise good beer. Raise that beer and toast your buddy, enjoy and remember.