Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Vent Cap - Cleaning it

Options
GBC
GBC Posts: 58
My Smokeware vent cap looks rather nasty after doing several butts and slabs of ribs, what is the best way to clean it? 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I tried several a few cleaning products and elbow grease to clean mine. Next time I will try oven cleaner. BTW instructions say dishwasher, but I know our washer wouldn't clean it. This was my first attempt - but today I'm starting over.
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    Options
    imageBear with me this afternoon as I am going to clean this ...more pictures to come.
  • RRP
    Options
    Sprayed - now waiting
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bar keepers fixes it right up.
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Easy Off Oven cleaner wins hands down! This after less than an hour of easy work! 

imageimage
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    Options

and the throat shot...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 on the cleaning procedure. Ya can also use this product and it helps for future cleaning. I use it on my SS table and the Smokeware. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Certainly works well!

I believe Bar Keepers Friend would work well also for the really tough stuff. I use this with my nice stainless cookware in the house. 
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Wow, I need to try that.  With the weber grid cleaner and a scouring pad I still couldn't get mine that clean! 

Also- I know everyone is saying it's dishwasher safe, but it's also suggested to put the gasket on the lid itself and not the egg (like I did).  So are people who are dishwashing their vent caps doing it with the gasket on? I wouldn't think so...
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I sprayed mine with Easy Off Oven cleaner and put it in a garbage bag over night.  The next day, I basically wiped it clean.  Worked very well for me...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • RRP
    Options
    Wow, I need to try that.  With the weber grid cleaner and a scouring pad I still couldn't get mine that clean! 

Also- I know everyone is saying it's dishwasher safe, but it's also suggested to put the gasket on the lid itself and not the egg (like I did).  So are people who are dishwashing their vent caps doing it with the gasket on? I wouldn't think so...

Can't reply about the dishwasher impact on the gasket applied to my SmokeWare itself, but if relatively high heat won't bother it I can't imagine it getting wet would be an issue. I just know the Heavy Duty Easy-Off that I used today worked like a charm as my pictures above showed - no scrubbing involved, just wipe the crud away though it does make a mess so just don't use the wife's good dish towels in the process!
  • GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm definitely going to go get some Easy Off! 
  • RRP
    Options
    GBC said:
    I'm definitely going to go get some Easy Off! 
    Heavy Duty vs. regular if they even still make it...BTW in talking with my wife it was Bartender's Friend that I had used the first time I cleaned mine and used a bunch of elbow grease - with this E-O cleaner it was a breeze!