Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Brewers out here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Phattony
    Phattony Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm a home brewer as well. Going to take to leap to all grain this summer/fall. I always have home brew on tap. 
    Detroit, MI 
    YOLO... It's like Carpe Diem for idiots.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    @Phattony where you at in Detroit?  Dearborn here, was down there last night for the game but left early because I couldn't take it anymore LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Not fermenting at too hot a temp?
    I fermented nottingham with a heat belt and I blew the airlock off in my face!!! 
    I find cooler temps give a much less active fermentation!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I fermented nottingham with a heat belt and I blew the airlock off in my face!!! 

Hey Canman, I think that's directed at me. Not too hot at all. Basement is a nice dark 68°. The other batch rig beside it a couple weeks older has been brewing perfect in my bucket FV
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    i have some ginger beer on the go right now
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• KenfromMI
    Options
    I have an old house with a huge old boiler. In the winter time my basement is the perfect temperature for fermenting Ale's all Winter long. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Phattony
    Phattony Posts: 23
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌, I'm from Dearborn also. Small world?
    Detroit, MI 
    YOLO... It's like Carpe Diem for idiots.
  • hopmonster
    hopmonster Posts: 11
    Options
    Regarding quality of product, I can get a lot of fantastic commercial microbrews here in VA, but the goal is to make things that are not available. I made a 100 IBU I called Hopmonster about 1996 or 7. There were not too many IPAs regularly available then. I doubled that recipe at Christmas and called it Yeti. Truthfully it was pretty bad as it was a sloppy hop mess with a crap load of alcohol, but it was way ahead of its time. I have moved on to session beers a few years ago trying to make something I would drink willingly at low alcohol. Belgian singles (playing with color in a light beer) and session IPAs. I also made a hard left turn into long term barrel projects with wild and sour ales. In the new BA book on American Sour Ales I show up in the acknowledgements. These sour beers take years to make. I won a handful of medals, but I only enter one competition a year, if at all, and really only for feedback. I entered 5 competitions and pulled 2 best of shows in competitions that have hundreds of brewers, so I understand where I stand. Like cooking, there is always more to learn.

Cheers.

• KenfromMI
    Options
    @Phatttony I grew up in Dearborn Heights and have worked for the city for 26 years. Went to Crestwood High. Moved to Dearborn about 14 years ago. 
    Dearborn MI
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Greeno55 said:

Hey Canman, I think that's directed at me. Not too hot at all. Basement is a nice dark 68°. The other batch rig beside it a couple weeks older has been brewing perfect in my bucket FV

Keep in mind, a 68* ambient air temp, will have a fermentation temp of around 5-7* higher during the peak growth and fermentation phase.

That would have you above the ideal temps to ferment at for most strains.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Thanks @FATC1TY. I mistyped. My FV is sitting around 68°, maybe a touch lower. Nevertheless, it calmed down about a day or so later. Can't wait to keg it on Friday.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Brewed a Saison Dupont this past weekend. It was a partial extract, but I have not made the leap to all grain yet and I was limited on time anyway. 2 to 3 hours is usually the max amount of time I have to spare.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Quick question. My batch this weekend called for 3 additions of hops dropped at three different times. My local home brew store gave me those foil packets of hops, but I didn't need to use them all. Are they worth saving? And if so, how? Vac seal 'em? Keep in fridge or freeezer? Or just toss and buy new ones next time insuring that they are fresh?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Quick question. My batch this weekend called for 3 additions of hops dropped at three different times. My local home brew store gave me those foil packets of hops, but I didn't need to use them all. Are they worth saving? And if so, how? Vac seal 'em? Keep in fridge or freeezer? Or just toss and buy new ones next time insuring that they are fresh?

Vac seal if you can. If not, place in ziplock, push out as much air as you can and store in freezer.

They can be used for the next batch for sure.

I buy bulk, pellet and leaf during the harvest season. Usually around 8-13 pounds total, and store in vac bags in the freezer. Works well.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Just bottled my 4th batch.  Loving the new homebrew hobby.  Recently dry hopped an APA, turned out really nice...

Packerland, Wisconsin

• hopmonster
    hopmonster Posts: 11
    Options
    Choke - Bag up those hops, it is a *B* to get that out of a glass fermentor. Put some marbles (cleaned) in the hop bag and shove them on it. Even that is tough in glass. Outside that, brew on.
  • slheinlein
    slheinlein Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been brewing for about 5 years and got my egg about 2 months ago.  Firing up the egg and having a home brew is great.  I do all-grains and enjoy all styles.  Have a Zombie Dust clone and a stout on tap right now.  Just bottled some Belgium yesterday.  For me, the hobbies go hand in hand.
    Large and MiniMax
    Mont Vernon, NH
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    Be careful with that glass carboy they can be extremely dangerous. I never had a problem, but I've seen many that have. 
    Aurora,OH
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    Throw those leaf hops in a bag, you'll be struggling mightily to get them out. I've been brewing for about 8 years, I do all train BIAB, and extracts when I'm short on time. I've never had US05 blow up on me like that. Conan yes, cal ale yeast and afew Belgians get big. Blow off tubes are a godsend if you don't have a easily cleanable fermentation chamber.
    HFX NS