Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BBQ thermometer...

Options
Hey all,

I just got a new Maverick Redi Check digital thermometer but I seem to be having issues. My dome temp on LBGE is saying 210 maybe, but the thermometer is reading 268-275 on the grill grate. Meat is cooking wonderfully, but I guess I wanted to make sure if this was normal of if I have messed up on my first go around :).

Thanks in advance eggers!

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Are you cooking direct or indirect ?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You'll want to check the dome and Maverick probes by submerging in some boiling water.  The maverick probe needs to always be indirect to the fire.
    I was doing an indirect cook, and I had the probe right over the plate setter. It eventually turned out all right, but I butchered the cook, probably one of my worst experiments to date on the BGE. Wasn't sure if I should have gotten it to 190 and pulled it like I would pork, but I let it get to Medium rare and tried to serve as sandwich meat. Unfortunately it was pretty rough lol. 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What were your cooking? Did it have a bone in it? If so and you got it next to it, it could read lower. Others may be able to chime in and see if I'm right.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.