Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard or No Mustard

gdawgs24
gdawgs24 Posts: 21

We are doing our 1st barbecue competition this week and wanted some thoughts on if people rub there ribs down with mustard before they put there rub on. Besides the rub sticking better are there any benifts to the mustard?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Some say it helps tenderize the meat.  To be honest I'm not really convinced I can tell a difference, but I don't think it hurts.  Last time I did ribs I loosely followed APL's mustard moisturizer. 

Mustard Moisturizer 
    1⁄4 cup prepared yellow mustard 
    1⁄4 cup water 
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Agree with Smokey.  Mustard or the Mustard Moisturizer sounds even better.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think it's a waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think it's a waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment. 
    On 3 slabs of ribs I think I used about 6 cents worth of mustard :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Mustard just helps the rub stick to the meat. Mustard is an emulsifier, and so the oils and water coming from the cooking meat will blend w. the spices. There is a small amount of vinegar in most prepared mustard, which will tenderize the outside a tiny bit.

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    I know everyone says that you can taste the mustard, but I do. I'm not a fan of mustard.

Aurora,OH
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I have recently been very lightly coating beef with some Ken's Vidalia Onion salad dressing before applying the rub.  Just enough to make the rub adhere better.  We like the bit of flavor it adds.  Not so sure I would try it for a competition but the wife and I both like it on beef. It did not work as well flavorwise on pork though.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    ive done it with and without and notice very little difference......i lean slightly towards the idea of doing it as it does help the rub hold to the meat a bit better.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I do it.  It holds the rub on.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Most of the family, including me, is not a fan of mustard, but it is standard on my ribs before the rub goes on.  None of them have ever complained about my ribs.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I have used mustard and I couldn't really pick up the taste. I have since switched to using apple cider vinegar to wet the ribs and then apply the rub and it seems to work good for me. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    gdenby said:
    Mustard just helps the rub stick to the meat. Mustard is an emulsifier, and so the oils and water coming from the cooking meat will blend w. the spices.
    Mustard *powder* is an emulsifier, prepared mustard is an emulsion...  and emulsifiers pretty much require significant mechanical agitation to work anyhow.  So all the prepared mustard does is help a dry rub stick to the meat.  (And unless you're building a thick crust of rub isn't strictly necessary.)  You'll get the same blending effect even without the presence of prepared mustard.

I never use it, and never miss it.  If I ever need a thick layer of rub, I just use a thick paste.  (But I rarely do as I prefer natural 'outside brown' to a manufactured bark.)
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I have produced the exact same results rubbing my ribs with a mild vinegar like rice wine vinegar.  Prepared mustard is just vinegar and mustard seed.  The rice wine vinegar made the rub adhere the same and produced the same bark.

Living Large and XL

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    The meat is kinda sticky already. If you can't taste a difference, seems like a waste of mustard, a waste of time, and a huge mess all for nothing.

I've started going without mustard, things taste great, and I'm going quicker with much less mess.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE