Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Wood for First Ribs

Options
xbx
xbx Posts: 8
Just got an egg. Was wondering what the best wood was to start with for ribs this weekend... I know there is a great debate but any input helps. 

Also, how do y'all place your wood within your charcoal? I have heard of a layering method, or putting the wood on the insides and outside only... 

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I really like apple and pecan, they are generally milder in taste.  Cherry is good if you like a strong smoke flavor.  Just my 0.02... Hope they turn out delicious!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I am a big fan of mixing either oak or pecan with a fruit wood like apple or cherry.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Ribs are a sweet meat. I would use fruit woods to compliment the sweetness of the ribs. I like to mix apple & cherry/peach. 

I soak my chips overnight. I light my fire like normal and just sprinkle the chips/chunks directly on top of the coals. 
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    Ribs are a sweet meat. I would use fruit woods to compliment the sweetness of the ribs. I like to mix apple & cherry/peach. 

I soak my chips overnight. I light my fire like normal and just sprinkle the chips/chunks directly on top of the coals. 
      ^ this.....except sometimes I will actually use chunks instead of chips when I have them.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Fruit is good with ribs. No need to soak chips with an egg.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• xbx
    xbx Posts: 8
    Options
    I can either buy chunks or chips... What would you all recommend?
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    chunks
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The fruit woods I've used produce a milder flavor. I tend to prefer apple over cherry. Only used peach once, it was fine. Pecan has a fairly mild flavor. Likewise soft maple, I suppose hard maple would be good too. Personally, oak is my favorite for both pork and beef, w. hickory 2nd. I don't care much for mesquite, and thought walnut was too bitter. For ribs, which don't take as long as something bigger, like a butt, I leave a small depression in the center of the lump, and fill that with chips or chunks. If you mix the wood thruout the lump, it will provide smoke for the duration. Once the oputside of the meat starts to dry, the smoke will not penetrate, but will build up on the surface bark.
  • jfine1
    jfine1 Posts: 87
    Options
    For ribs I always think you need a strong enough smoke to stand up to the richness of the meat. Hickory I find good, as well as whiskey barrel chips. Generally soak them for a couple hours before adding them to the coals so they burn slow
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    I use a mix of apple and cherry chunks.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975