Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT places to stay at Disney world?

Options
Hey guys, just looking for some feedback on reasonably priced accommodations that are nice and fairly close to Disney.Planning to take the family next March.

Any suggestions?

Jamie
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I can't help with where to stay (I go home after the day), but I will give you a caution.  An awful lot of "residence" hotels in Orlando are home to the long term dregs of society.  Research well before choosing a cut rate, long term stay hotel even if it is billed as for tourists.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    There's TONS of places in Kisseemee, FL that are an easy drive over to the parks.  Parking (today) is $18, so take that into account.....  It adds up fast!  We have stayed on property for 2 years in a row and its was soooooo nice not even touching my car keys or having to fight with traffic in the parking lots!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The quality inn Royale park in Kissimmee isn't bad. Close Proximity. "Affordable" but not awesome. Free beer and wine at night and a huge pool.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    Can't go wrong with finding a place at www.vrbo.com .  You can rent a 3 bedroom house with a pool for about the same price for a decent hotel room. 
    St. Mary's, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Some years ago, I went to a conference there. Stayed at The Swan, on prem. Don't remember what it cost, but it was nice. I doubt it was or is "reasonably priced". I remember walking to the main Epcot attractions so it was close. Nearby was The Dolphin. Both, as I recall, were Disney properties.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Fort wilderness. End of thread
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    Options
    Polynesian is super nice but the pool is lacking

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've stated at the Dolphin, Fort Wilderness is great. ..if you can stay on property it's nice as far as location and early entry.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345
    Options
    Best pool is yacht and beach! I have been to Disney 12 times as an adult and countless times as a youngster. I'm a fan of the mouse!

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    We have stayed on site and off, and you can't beat the convenience of on site. The All Star Resorts (Sports, Music, Movies) are all very reasonable.
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    We just went this past April and stayed at Port Orleans - French Quarter. Quite reasonably priced (especially for a Disney property), really nice pool, decent place for breakfast. Would definitely stay there again.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    I would suggest that if possible stay on Disney property.  You won't need a car.  They provide transportation to every park every 15-20 mins.  What are ages of your kids? Can recommend different resorts based on that.  For instance if you have small kids you might want to consider the resorts closest to Magic Kingdom which is where you will most likely spend the most time.  Those are The Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, and Wilderness Lodge.  Animal Kingdom lodge is not that close to Magic Kingdom but in my opinion is great for kids with the views of the animals. And it's beside the Animal Kingdom which is probably the 2nd best park for young kids.  If you have older kids then I like the Yacht and Beach Clubs along with the Boardwalk.  You really cant go wrong with any Disney Property.  If you are looking for a value resort go for the All-Star or Port Orleans.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Anyone have any close campground suggestions? 

Plans to take the son and nephews down in a couple of years.  Would like to take the popup. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited June 2014
    Options

Looks like it will be Fort Wilderness, $49 a night.  Not bad for Disney

Thanks @grege345, bookmarked their site.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @Focker

...of course Disney has their own campsite ;).  I imagine it is pricey compared to other sites but you do get transportation, pools, restaurants, etc. 

@Canman- how many kids do you have and what ages?  If you need just a simple room for 4 or less then on property might be an option.  I went a couple of years ago with 3 kids ages 12-10-8.  In my opinion, once you get 5 in a room it gets far more difficult to find a place on property that is reasonable.  We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside.  The rooms have 2 queens and a trundle bed, but the trundle bed was only big enough for a toddler so we were not comfortable. 

I have a buddy that goes all the time and he recommends this site to get a quote the bonnet creek resort.  If I understand correctly, "vacation strategy" is a booking agent that buys up unused time shares and sells them at a discount.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    edited June 2014
    Options

Thanks @SmokeyPitt,

Seems like a winner.  I pay $30 a night here at a nice KOA.  So $49 for Disney isn't too far off.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HoosierEgg71
    Options
    Talk to a knowledgeable travel agent about all inclusive packages. When you do the math it doesn't cost any more than staying somewhere else and driving to the park.
  • nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    Options
    Last time we went, we stayed at Pop Century. It's an economy resort, but all you need is a place to sleep and grab some breakfast before you hit the next park.

They have a couple of pools, one of which has a poolside bar. Good place to relax and let your feet rest for a while. The kids loved it there.

Port Orleans is also nice. A little more expensive than Pop Century, but boat access to the parks is a nice feature. Pretty good bar with entertainment at night and they had a great breakfast when I was there years ago.

The good thing about Disney is that you really can't go wrong at any of the on site resorts.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Acn said:

We just went this past April and stayed at Port Orleans - French Quarter. Quite reasonably priced (especially for a Disney property), really nice pool, decent place for breakfast. Would definitely stay there again.

We loved that place a few years ago! Very reasonable!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    If your vacationing with an active or retired military member or a DOD civilian, it's hard to beat Shades of Green. It's on the Disney World property. I think it's the old Disney Resort. Even has a Mickey Mouse shaped pool. The eligibility criteria is posted on the Shades of Green Website. http://www.shadesofgreen.org/index.html
    Worth a look if eligible.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming