Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning egg

Options

This is my first post and I really like the forum so far. Plenty of info.

I am getting ready to purchase an XL BGE and will build a table. Plenty great tables and ideas here.

I cook a lot of fish, redfish on the half shell and other types of fish.

How hard is it to keep the BGE clean after cooking?

XL BGE Metairie, La

Comments

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

"keep clean".... it won't happen.  Sure you can do the usual, scrub the greasy bits off the grate and such, but that's about it.

To actually CLEAN the egg (inside I'm assuming you're talking about), is increadibly easy. 

Step 1 - light charcoal & open both vents all the way

Step 2 - drink adult beverages while the egg eats charcoal

Step 3 - ...

Step 4 - profit....

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Swamppro
    Swamppro Posts: 31
    Options

Thank you. It looked like it would clean up well I was just worried about juices and such sticking to the porcelain.

Cant wait to get it. Trying to find plans for a corner table though is few and far between.

XL BGE Metairie, La
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They don't come with porcelain coated cooking grids anymore, now stainless steel. I'm not sure exactly when they made the switch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

You will want to remove the temp gauge prior to doing a clean burn.

That is if you would like it to be accurate afterwards.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Fish can really stink up a grill after you cook it. Last nite, we made halibut on the grill for tacos- and roasted some Anaheim chili peppers and some pasilla chili peppers.  Some of the halibut skin stuck to the grill grate (I attempted to take it off too soon) but after all the food was cooked I threw on five good sized (8" long and 2" thick) mesquite sticks off my tree onto the hot coals and then replaced all the grids.  I opened up the lower inlet all the way (including screen) and took off the daisy wheel cover.  in about 30 minutes, the temp on the dome said 900 degrees F. and I just let it burn. 

This morning early, there was a little bit of ash in the bottom and I took out grill grates and banged them against the ground,  and all of the burnt crud shook off.  The firebox, walls and dome on the inside had that cream color (the dome was still a little char-colored but the vanilla color was poking through) and there was no fish or chili pepper smell.  Good as new (almost)

I would only use wood that you would cook with and out west, mesquite grows like weeds pretty much everywhere and it burns HOT so we have plenty of it  I've used the raw wood (not charcoal) in pizza parties where I start the fire with a  few sticks of dried out wood and after about 30 mins, I 've got a 900 degree F pizza oven that will stay hot for a looooonng time.

Hot, clean burn will not hurt your egg, and it will burn off most (all?) of the crud.  i   despise germs and contamination so i like to burn the BGE good and hot after EVERY cook. When i used to do this with my propane grill, i was going through a lot of fuel.

Efficiency, ease of use, best results, versatility, enjoyable to use, easy to keep clean and the best support system in the industry.  i don't know of another bbq manufacturer which has it all

BGE really is the ultimate grill 

• Swamppro
    Swamppro Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info all!!
    Ordered mine earlier. Wife is just as excited.
    XL BGE Metairie, La
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Congratulations - welcome aboard!!
    Santa Paula, CA