Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot/Cool Zones

Options

My Dad bought a large BGE a few weeks ago. Steel rack. Platesetter. I am the "cook" in the Family so I have gone over to my parent's hose often these last few weeks to grill/smoke. I love the efficiency of this Egg. It is so easy to maintain temps. Starting a fire is unexpectedly easy as well. I find a need for a couple things. First, a need for raising the grid. Second, a way to sear and then finish. My plan is to buy a CI rack and use a few bricks to raise it off the wire rack. But what is available to create a cool/indirect side? Can a half CI griddle on the wire rack block enough heat away from one side of the raised CI rack? Maybe a divided fire box? Better ideas?

Jim

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    The plate setter is typically what's used for low and slow cooks. There really isn't a cool zone on the egg. 

I use 3 bricks and put them on the fire ring and place my rack on it. Your idea seems safer as far as wobbling bricks go. :))

The griddle is an interesting idea but I'm not sure you'll get that much heat difference. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Take a look at the Ash Dragon divided fire box fire grate and an AR from ceramic grill works. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You can buy a Woo2 to raise the grid and a 1/2 stone to effectively creat a 50/50 split of direct and indirect. Ceramicgrillstore.com. Good luck and enjoy.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the Ash Dragon, the Woo and AR. All seem like good ideas. I think I will forego the CI rack for now in favor of the two tier swing out from Ceramic Grill works. I still will try the bricks on a SS wire grate to raise the new grid for raised direct. I am afraid to use bricks without using a rack below them. Eggs are expensive!

Jim

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim