Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

iGrill reviews?

Hey everyone...

Just curious if anyone uses the iGrill/iGrill mini and what you think of it?  I use a maverick right now, just saw this Bluetooth setup with an iphone app which shows you up to 4 temps on your phone....

Thoughts?

[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Bluetooth range would be a problem for me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I have the 1st Gen iGrill and it seems sort of "clunky and unfinished".  I find the maverick to be more reliable for setting alarms for overnight cooks.  
    Even though checking your phone seems like it would be really convenient ... looking over at the maverick sitting next to my beer was even more convenient.
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Dont buy it, it worked a few times and then goes in and out constantly, Sometimes I'd stand directly beside it and it does not pick up the signal.

I also had to constantly take the batteries out to reset it etc.

Poorly made

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    This is a 'second' hand kinda review. Was in Colorado last week visiting my brother. He has one he uses ... absolutely loves it.

I guess that's the short of it.

Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

Good to know - thanks all. 

I wasn't looking too seriously, but saw a deal for the iGrill2 online... thought, "neato, new gadgets"....

Stupid upgradeitis.... always trying to make me buy new unnecesary things

• Dulax43
    Dulax43 Posts: 18
    I have the iGrill and thought it was great, but now I'm having the same problems as @dmarois and it isn't even on the temps it is giving me anymore.  I haven't looked any further how to fix it, I now use my Thermapen and check the temps periodically with that.

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I have the original...works great with my Android phone. Bluetooth works well enough. I have had it about 5 months.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    I had the original. Worked a few times and quit. Switched oner to a two probe unit from Thermaworks. No remote sensing, but they also have one that does that.
    Kemah, TX
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 253
    I've had mine about two years and love it. I use it with an iPad and I like seeing the graph of the temp. It can go through batteries at times and I have gone through a few probes but I use it a ton.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    I've had mine about two years and love it. I use it with an iPad and I like seeing the graph of the temp. It can go through batteries at times and I have gone through a few probes but I use it a ton.

I have had the same experience, but I am still on the original probe.  I did by an ambient temp probe as well.  The only complaint I have is the battery usage.  As far as the Bluetooth, I set up my iPad in the kitchen and can monitor the cook from their no problem.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Got mine for Christmas. Works great with my iPad.

LBGE

BTFU!

• FlyFishNC
    FlyFishNC Posts: 41
    BRush00 said:

I wasn't looking too seriously, but saw a deal for the iGrill2 online... thought, "neato, new gadgets"....

What type of deal did you find and where?  I've been considering one of these.
  • IdahoEggMan
    IdahoEggMan Posts: 14
    I've had the original since it came out. I agree with a lot of the comments here, it is kind of finicky, eats batteries, and feels a little unpolished. The bluetooth occasionally acts up on it as well. I actually remove the batteries when I store it because it seemed to eat them even turned off. Over time though I've learned the quirks and love the application and being able to monitor it from my phone. I sleep easy with overnight cooks knowing that I'm monitoring both the grill temp and meat temp and will be alerted when the temperatures vary outside the limits I've set.  I've liked it well enough that I intend to get the new one.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    FlyFishNC said:
    BRush00 said:

What type of deal did you find and where?  I've been considering one of these.

Hey FlyFishNC, the deal I found is on a website called TouchofModern.  It's one of those timed special deal websites, you'll have to create an account via your e-mail in order to see the deal.  The iGrill2 is on for $84.99 plus shipping, until JUNE 1st only.

As far as T.o.M. goes - my wife and I have each used it once, and seems alright thus far...

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/igrill/igrill2