Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cole slaw and homemade ice cream

Options
Happy Memorial Day!

I'm putting on ribs and wings in a little bit. Gonna smoke them all then throw my wings in the fryer to crisp them up.

Made homemade ice cream yesterday and wondering if anyone has any good recipes. This one was pretty good an consisted primarily of half and Hal and heavy whipping cream.

Also planning some creamy coleslaw and looking for any old family recipes you can share.

Thanks to all and especially the veterans!!

Comments

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Classic Cole Slaw
    1 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellman's)
    3 T lemon juice
    2 - 4 T sugar (depends on how tangy you like it)
    1 tsp salt
    6 cups shredded cabbage (you can usually find it bagged)
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green pepper
    Combine the first 4 ingredients.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cover. Chill. Makes 6 cups.
    Note:  if you have time to make it ahead, toss the cabbage with the salt, put in a colander, leave it for a couple of hours, and the excess moisture will drain out so your sauce isn't as thin.  Either way, it's tasty! enjoy
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options

I use Robert Irvine's from Food Network.  It's simple and very good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cole-slaw-recipe0.html

Flint, Michigan
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    About the only time I have cole slaw is with pulled pork. For that, I have always been partial to KFC slaw as I find it close to many of the slaws served by the Q joints I enjoyed in the south. So, I found this recipe - virtually identical to KFC. Doesn't stay "fresh" as long as KFCs though. Makes you wonder what else KFC adds!

They also have a lower fat version, but I haven't tried that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Coleslaw: Mix 1/2 cup mayo, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp red wine vinegar 1 tbsp milk and salt and pepper to taste then add a bag of shredded cabbage. Easy and yummy!
    GWN