Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick Boneless Beef Short Ribs suggestions?

Options
I found these at Costco - probably about 3" thick and 10" in length and 3-4" wide.  I've never seen them there before.  (As opposed to their normal thin strips of boneless short ribs.)

Any thoughts on how to cook them?  Foil them after a few hours?

My preliminary thoughts are to smoke them around 275 until they are around 190+.  Maybe raise them temp and sear them direct at the end.  But, I really have no clue.  As a side note, I have sous vide available, but I'm not sure it will add anything to this hunk of meat.  I'm not wedded to the smoking idea, but the relatively low and slow technique seems like the best way to likely end up with a tender, tasty piece of meat.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I would treat them the same way I treat regular beef short ribs. Rub them with whatever you choose. Either sear them in a DO, or smoke indirect @ 250 for 2 hours to get a good bark. Then braise in DO with your choice of aromatic veggies and red wine & beef broth until pull apart tender.

Ok, now I'm hungry
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs