Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caster alternative?

Options
I'm currently making a table out of cypress and don't want to use casters as it will be hard to roll the table on the deck anyway. Plus I think the wheel will deform over time due to the weight of the table + BGE. What's a good alternative? I'm thinking about stainless leveling mounts like the following. What are other options?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    If you buy good casters they will not deform.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. Great idea
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pretty sure there will me many times when you will want to move the table. The levelers will likely cost as much as casters. And be no easier to install. I see no downside to casters.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    edited May 2014
    Options

Take a look at www.castercity.com. They have great customer service too!

My table has a large and small egg. I have had the 5"casters on for about 5 years.

The wheels don't have any flat spots. Two of the wheels have brakes.

Just don't get the really hard rubber...they will eat up a wooden deck.

If you don't plan on ever moving your table then your idea will be okay.

http://www.castercity.com/cm3a-stem.htm

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If you use urethane casters they will not get flat spots. Another option is pneumatic casters. Then you can inflate them if they begin to go flat. Also, the pneumatic casters are big which will make them easy to roll on the deck.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I haven't seen an air caster yet that holds air. They all seem to lose some over time. Maybe it's the hot cold temperature difference that does it.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I built my table and used 5 inch casters, no problem on my wood deck.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'd be less worried about the casters than the deck boards themselves. Frequent moving of that kind of mass on small casters sounds like a recipe for cracking boards.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Agree +1 "quality" casters DO NOT deform. I have commercial kitchen equipment that weigh well over 1,500+# and rolls on casters with no issues. That's why they are engineered based upon equipment load so you can decide which ones best suite your application. I paid under $70 for 4 swivel casters all with brakes and will support loads up to 1,250#
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • geoff7877
    geoff7877 Posts: 35
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I bought casters and installed the before placing my egg in the table and it wobbled like crazy. I ended up putting hard rubber feet on one side and used my son's old training wheels on the other side. Works great and absolutely NO wobble. The training wheels may compress over time but they're cheap enough to replace.
    Petaluma, CA