Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get desired heat temp.

Options
I have a 2nd egg, wore out the 1st after 25 years. With this new egg I can't get temp above 425. I use dry BGE lumps, keep it clean, use plenty of lumps, have calibrated thermometer properly, etc...Are the newer eggs composed of different material?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What size is it?  Do you have the opening in the fire box oriented with the bottom vent? 
    Options

how do you wear out a green egg?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,412
    Options

First up-welcome aboard and you are more than eggsperienced with the journey. 

I don't know about BGE's of 25 years ago, but the material as I understand it is about the same (ceramic) and the BGE's of today can easily go nuclear and bury the thermo if that is the objective.

As you know, fuel, air-flow and an ignition source and away you go-gotta be one of those components that is your limiter.

BTW-how did your other BGE  wear out?

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dont know what the upper vent was on the older egg, but the daisy on top needs to be taken off the dome and put aside for nuclear temps, my large will hit 1200 degrees with enough lump, enough air supply, and enought time for the temps to climb
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Decot
    Decot Posts: 12
    Options
    Mostly weather related, cracks in the dome, etc...My first egg was more of a red clay material..