Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Turbo or No?

Scotbradly725
Scotbradly725 Posts: 59
I'm looking to cook my first pork butt next week, and am looking for some ideas or links to threads for recipes, cooking hints etc. I did a slow and low brisket last weekend and it was freaking amazing! I'd like to not be into this for 12+ hours tho, as I will be cooking it before my graveyard shift to feed the guys. Any and all help is welcome! Oh and I'm looking at a 7-9lb roast.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Hot n fast!! 350* all the way till probes like buttah. I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Some folks use mustard as a rub binder. Depends on if I have any or not if I use it. Go with PS legs up, elevated drip pan, grid then butt. You are prolly looking at about 5hrs or so for a 7-8lb butt. End results are tender, juicy pork goodness

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited May 2014
    Here is the dilemma...your first will set your mind. While most of us learned the low and slow method once we crossed over to the turbo we never will go back! I say go turbo and save your time in bed for sleeping or whatever.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Thanks guys! That's kinda the way I was leaning too. What should I use to elevate the drip pan? And do I need to put water in the pan too? Or would that be defeating the turbo aspect of the cook?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    No water.

I use sockets from a wrench set, but a lot of people use balls of foil.  Anything that will raise it an inch or so.
    NOLA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple or more for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Here they are, almost ready to go on the grill in the morning..... So if I have 2 butts that are going to go on side by side and they are each 7-8lbs, how long should I plan for on cook time? I need to leave for work by 4:30 or 5:00pm at the latest and I'm gonna have a whole sh*tload of pissed off guys if I don't bring this ready to eat!!!!
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Everyone acts like L&S interferes with their sleep. You just need more beer and a zero gravity recliner to nap in during the cook LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Well, here was the results. First one came off at 5.5hrs, second one came off at almost 7 hrs. And the guys at work RAVED!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I've been thrown in the same boat.  My wife got a call last night and my pulled pork was requested for a baby shower this weekend. Some for Saturday and another for Sunday.  They want to eat by 4 each day.  I don't feel like waking up pre-dawn and doing a low and slow to get this done.  If I bought two 7lb shoulders, could I do a turbo starting at say 8-9am and have them done in time?  I've always done low and slow and never have tried a turbo. If it's about 5 hours cook time, then I could start them at 9, be done by two and have an hour or so of rest in the cooler before pulled.  Does this plan sound like it will work?

I made 50lbs of pulled pork last summer for a graduation party and now every family event that comes up it gets requested.  DAMN EGG! lol.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• That's eggsactly what I did. 350 indirect for 5.5 hours. I would give yourself at least an hour of leeway tho just in case it takes a little longer like my second one did. You can FTC for 3-4 hours if need be.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    YEMTrey said:
    I've been thrown in the same boat.  My wife got a call last night and my pulled pork was requested for a baby shower this weekend. Some for Saturday and another for Sunday.  They want to eat by 4 each day.  I don't feel like waking up pre-dawn and doing a low and slow to get this done.  If I bought two 7lb shoulders, could I do a turbo starting at say 8-9am and have them done in time?  I've always done low and slow and never have tried a turbo. If it's about 5 hours cook time, then I could start them at 9, be done by two and have an hour or so of rest in the cooler before pulled.  Does this plan sound like it will work?

I made 50lbs of pulled pork last summer for a graduation party and now every family event that comes up it gets requested.  DAMN EGG! lol.

Yes and enjoy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    +1 Turbo. I was always L&S but recently tried Turbo. I'm a convert. Five to six hours with an hour or so rest, covered in foil and placed in a cooler. I do miss the extended "journey" the L&S has and the smoke that makes the neighbors salivate...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating