Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Prices

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited May 2014 in Pork
What's everyone paying for pork nowadays? image
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• MagicMike
    MagicMike Posts: 40
    Options
    For some reason baby back ribs and boston butts went up $1 a pound at every store in my area, including Sams Club. $2.99 a pound is what I'm paying now too for butts. Not sure whats going on.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I just paid $3.49 a lb. today for bone in BB. Ouch
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • tulocay
    Options
    That would be a Publix in the Atlanta area.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have noticed the pork butts taking a jump in price lately in here in Central Arkansas.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just put on a BB from the freezer the label says I paid $1.69/lb for. That was only a few months ago and I wish I could find them for that now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    1.90/lb at commissary in sc
    last week harris teeter had them for 1.29/lb I think 
    Beaufort, SC
  • stemc33
    Options
    Oh how I wish there was a commissary close to my house. Nearest one is 5-6 hours away.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I've never had a problem buying in bulk on sale and, keeping whatever meat frozen. I think my buying habits balance out or smoothes out the peaks and valleys of prices. OTOH I know this keeps me from gagging from sticker shock so that I can regain my senses and walk out with pride and wallet in tact! Freezers are cheap!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    Options
    RRP said:
    I've never had a problem buying in bulk on sale and, keeping whatever meat frozen. I think my buying habits balance out or smoothes out the peaks and valleys of prices. OTOH I know this keeps me from gagging from sticker shock so that I can regain my senses and walk out with pride and wallet in tact! Freezers are cheap!

How long does it take a butt to thaw? I'm a poor planner when it comes to cooks. I just get a craving and head on down to the butcher to https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/93/659463039b5b1c3e7146d9ab05b2de.jpgget what I need.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    Options
    It can take 2 days to thaw a butt in the fridge. But you can toss the butt on frozen, did one last night. Turned out great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tulocay
    Options
    DMW, did you cook the frozen butt any differently? Time? Temp?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    Options
    @tulocay Put it on around 7:30 last night. Was 9# bone in butt. Ran at 250*, bumped it up to 275* around 4:00. This morning bumped again to 290*. Finished around 9:30ish. I couldn't tell the difference in the finished product.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tulocay
    Options
    Thanks. Good to know.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Both beef and pork prices have soared. There's a swine virus going on out West, knocking off thousands and thousands of pigs and piglets.
    The beef shortage is due to the droughts last year and farmers were selling off their stock just to get their investment back. The "pipeline" will take a while to fill again.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Have noticed the same thing- bought a pack of ribs from costco yesterday and prices were roughly $8-10 higher than normal.
    Greensboro, NC
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Snapped this yesterday at wegmans image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Bought some baby backs today at Costco and they were $3.89/lb.
    That seemed higher than last time, but I didn't have time to shop around.  Maybe they are just increased for the holiday weekend since it's such a big grilling/smoking holiday.

LBGE/Maryland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I've never done a Boston Butt X_X (head hung in shame). Do you only use for PP or can they be sliced? Thinking of doing a butt or possibly a Pork Loin (neither of which I've done).
    Edit: what is the smallest # recommendation on each of these and do you choose similar to beef based on marbling (sort of)?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Have noticed the same thing- bought a pack of ribs from costco yesterday and prices were roughly $8-10 higher than normal.

just picked two butts up at the Friendly Harris Teeter for $1.29/pound....
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    I've never done a Boston Butt X_X (head hung in shame). Do you only use for PP or can they be sliced? Thinking of doing a butt or possibly a Pork Loin (neither of which I've done). Edit: what is the smallest # recommendation on each of these and do you choose similar to beef based on marbling (sort of)?

I've only done two, an 8lb & 9lber. There's only my wife and me, but I took the extra to work and they liked it so it didn't go to waste. I really don't know how to pick the best pork butt or how the sizing works. I just thought that the average was about 8lbs. I pulled both, but I suggest posting the same post in a new thread to get more responses from the more experienced eggers.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • msocko3
    msocko3 Posts: 35
    Options
    I always cruise through the meat dept at Wallymart and look for the yellow mark down tags. They reduce the price when it gets close to the sell by date. I've managed to lay on a pretty good stock of ribs and some butts in my freezer doing this.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    For a Boston butt $3.99/lbs (Canadian)
    For Spares $3.63/lbs costco
    For spares that are better $4.26/lbs
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    NPHuskerFL:  Do you only use for PP or can they be sliced? Thinking of doing a butt or possibly a Pork Loin (neither of which I've done). 
    Slice a loin and pull a shoulder is the normal arrangement. The complex muscle set-up within the shoulder (they go every way from Christmas) makes them difficult to slice with any precision if if the shoulder is cooked to a point that's tender enough. A loin, on the other hand, has a tight one-way muscle through its length.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im seeing over 4 a pound for butt and last weekend i passed on ribeye choice grade at 12.99 a pound, rump steak was friggin 6.99 a pound. these prices are 100 percent higher than last year this time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just put on a BB from the freezer the label says I paid $1.69/lb for. That was only a few months ago and I wish I could find them for that now.

DMW, I know Wegmans has them for $1.69 yet. I just picked one up at the Collegeville store last weekend.

Acme has Buy 1 get 2 free on BB ribs this weekend. Comes out to $2.99/lb.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • wpendlegg
    wpendlegg Posts: 141
    Options
    I noticed that too! Spares at Market Street (here in West Texas) were like $3.49 a lb! It's not the cheapest place in the world but I'm pretty sure I've picked them up for around $2.19 a lb in the very recent past.
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Butts are 1.49 here, I'll stock up until the next sale. Use to be .99.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I picked up some spare ribs today for 2.02 lb  and some baby backs for 3.84 lb.
    Cant imagine a 3 day weekend without a nice low & slow cook!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR